Pale Moon blocks certain google fonts

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Remoras

Pale Moon blocks certain google fonts

Unread post by Remoras » 2014-01-12, 19:23

Hi people i have this issue, sometimes when I pull up a page in pale moon that uses fonts served by Google fonts the fonts are not downloaded/rendered by my browser. It always block the content so i have to un-block it. Does anybody experienced this?

Thank you

access2godzilla

Re: Pale Moon blocks certain google fonts

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-01-13, 06:41

You're probably using Noscript, uncheck Forbid @font-face under Noscript options > Embeddings.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-01-13, 09:57

Why would NoScript block @font-face? That makes no sense whatsoever since it's not active/script content, and is bound to seriously break a lot of websites...
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-01-13, 10:41

Moonchild wrote:Why would NoScript block @font-face? That makes no sense whatsoever since it's not active/script content
https://encrypted.google.com/search?hl= ... nerability

https://encrypted.google.com/search?hl= ... +font+drop

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-01-13, 11:06

Um.. Patched in July 2013 :P. And Duqu was patched in 2011.
And only applies if you are actually using TTF for web fonts which is not a good thing (You'd want to use OTF or WOFF, or if needed EOT).

So, if you haven't patched your Windows in over 6 months you MAY need this, otherwise you're just crippling yourself. Even so if you think there's somehow still a threat, block .ttf extensions but not @font-face altogether?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-01-13, 12:00

The ugly fonts are a real issue -- I have been running into sites that use them as icons for some time. Why is this "fonts as icons" method is so popular? I don't see any advantages ("manipulate them with CSS" is not an advantage IMO, since icons can be edited, and many sites just leave them as it is without any CSS manipulations). On the other hand, I see many disadvantages -- one of them being they don't have alt-text (think "blind people").

Anyway, a bit of searching reveals a much better solution, which is to add the following to noscript.allowedMimeRegex:

Code: Select all

FONT@https?://themes\.googleusercontent\.com
Any other domains that could be added?

Remoras

Unread post by Remoras » 2014-01-13, 13:41

@ access2godzilla
Yes i do use NoScript, but i accept everything from the page i load.
@Moonchild
Oh yes, i haven't update my windows for more than a year. :)

Thanks for the help guys

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2014-01-13, 17:16

NoScript didn't block fonts by default. This is only for users which didn't like using other fonts and must be activated.