Error msg: "Palemoon is still closing"

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
IrregularExpression

Error msg: "Palemoon is still closing"

Unread post by IrregularExpression » 2011-11-23, 15:27

Hi!

I use Pale Moon Portable (PMP) on my work PC in a folder on the hard drive. Whilst in a rush yesterday I closed the PMP and quickly shut down the PC. Now when I try to start PMP again I get an error message saying "Palemoon is still closing" so I presume the PMP process from yesterday was still in the midst of ending when Windows ended it prematurely when shutting down.

So I guess my question is either:

1) Is there a way to fix this?
2) Or if I just have to delete this current PMP "installation" and unzip a new one, which files/folders from the User(?) folder should I copy to save my bookmarks, history and cookies?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Error msg: "Palemoon is still closing"

Unread post by Moonchild » 2011-11-23, 16:44

Yes, the portable launcher waits for Pale Moon to completely shut down before it terminates itself (to prevent improper cleanup and to run some maintenance tasks after the program has run) - Your hurried shutdown has interfered with this process and left it in a state making the launcher think it is still running, preventing to run the application until manual deletion of the temporary files from:

C:\Documents and Settings\{name}\Local settings\Temp\Palemoon-Portable (on Windows XP)
C:\Users\{name}\AppData\Local\Temp\Palemoon-Portable (On Vista/7)

You can safely remove that entire folder. If you can't find it or the problem persists after deletion, do a file search on your drive for "palemoon-portable.log" which should tell you the location it's looking for. This will not influence your profile - these are temporary files.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

IrregularExpression

Unread post by IrregularExpression » 2011-11-23, 18:01

That did just the trick. Thanks! :D

sok-wisniowy

Unread post by sok-wisniowy » 2011-12-05, 00:04

Hi

I also use Palemoon 8 portable on my laptop (Windows 7) and PC (Windows XP) - the same version placed on pendrive. Sometimes when I'm not closing PM properly I have this error "Palemoon is still closing".

On Windows 7 I can find this catalog and delete it without any problemms. But on WinXP I can't find it. I was searching whole system for Palemoon forders or files but I've found nothing. I can't use it anymore on PC because I have this error. Do anyone have some idea what to do?

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2011-12-05, 00:08

sok-wisniowy wrote:Hi

I also use Palemoon 8 portable on my laptop (Windows 7) and PC (Windows XP) - the same version placed on pendrive. Sometimes when I'm not closing PM properly I have this error "Palemoon is still closing".

On Windows 7 I can find this catalog and delete it without any problemms. But on WinXP I can't find it. I was searching whole system for Palemoon forders or files but I've found nothing. I can't use it anymore on PC because I have this error. Do anyone have some idea what to do?
It's a hidden folder.
I got this from About, long time since I have used XP.

"Open My Computer.

From the Tools menu, choose Folder Options....

Click on the View tab in the Folder Options window.

In the Advanced settings: text area, locate the Hidden files and folders category.

Note: The Hidden files and folders category should be viewable at the bottom of the Advanced settings: text area without scrolling down. You'll see two options under the folder.

Choose the Show hidden files and folders radio button under the Hidden files and folders category.

Click OK at the bottom of the Folder Options window.

You should now be able to view all files and folders with the hidden attribute turned on."

sok-wisniowy

Unread post by sok-wisniowy » 2011-12-06, 14:10

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, still nothing.
I have turned on showing hidden files and folders. When I use system search of whole C: partition, there is only one file: PALEMOON-PORTABLE.EXE-2BF54CCF.pf but deleting it gives nothing.

Besides, I have no "Local settings" folder in any user in "Documents and Settings" :(

EDIT: Finally I've found it :) But I don't know why system can't find it. Anyway Palemoon is working. Once again thanks :)

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2011-12-06, 14:27

You probably didn't see it. Now, let's say that my computer is called "Megaman."

C:\Documents and Settings\Megaman\Local settings\Temp\Palemoon-Portable

Edit: You made your "Edit" after I made my reply.
No problem, we are here/glad to help. :)