Can not unzip

For discussions specific to the Portable version of the browser.

Moderator: satrow

Tony33

Can not unzip

Unread post by Tony33 » 2011-11-15, 05:16

hi,
I am new to this forum, I would like to try Palemoon Portable 8
Program downloaded OK to my win.XP computer but when I tried to unzip it with 7-Zip (from right click context menu)
I got a "Diagnostic Messages" box with 294 files with something like "unsupported compression method..."
and the newly created folder has a few files but 0 (zero) byte. (I do not have Win RAR...so I don't know)

this also happened with palemoon portable 3.6.26a :(

Please help
Thanks

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Can not unzip

Unread post by Moonchild » 2011-11-15, 08:14

The portable versions come as a self-extracting archive (.exe) - you run the executable and it will ask you where to unpack; no need to try and unpack it with 7-zip.
"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne

Tony33

Unread post by Tony33 » 2011-11-19, 04:15

Thank you Moonchild
You are right, It unpacked to the USB flash correctly but the Norton Internet Security 2011 automatically removed certain files
rendered it inoperationable ( I do believe Palemoon does not have trojan or anything like that) will try again later when I can figure
out how to bypass this NIS. (I am no computer expert!)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2011-11-19, 08:44

NIS should leave Pale Moon alone - if it destroys part of it, then you should immediately report this to Norton.

This would be a "false positive", and is probably triggered by the optimized nature of Pale Moon and/or by having the libraries compacted (a very bad assumption in that case). In any case, they need to fix their detection engine.
"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne