Download links won't work?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
yohello65

Download links won't work?

Unread post by yohello65 » 2021-01-24, 19:30

I don't know if anyone else is having this problem, but when I go to click on the download links (both 32 and 64 bit) for the browser nothing happens. I thought at first it was just the portable that was having the problem, so I checked the other versions and... nope. No response. I'm not well-versed in computer stuff so I have no clue what to do next.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Download links won't work?

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-01-24, 22:11

Please provide the information from Help -> Troubleshooting as explained in this support sticky post and put the information inside "hide" tags.

Also, download links where?
Please post links to some pages where you've seen this, even if it seems to be "everywhere".

yohello65

Unread post by yohello65 » 2021-01-25, 00:08

Acer Aspire E15 AMD E2
Windows 8.1
When I say where, I meant Pale Moon itself. I can't download the Pale Moon browser. At all. I tried clicking on both 32 and 64 bit but nothing happened. It doesn't respond.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-01-25, 00:32

You didn't post your information from Help -> Troubleshooting (about:support).
As explained in the linked stickie, please kindly open that page, click "Copy text to clipboard", and post the contents of your clipboard here inside "hide" tags.
yohello65 wrote:
2021-01-25, 00:08
When I say where, I meant Pale Moon itself.
Then presumably you mean the "download links" from this page: https://www.palemoon.org/download.shtml

Those downloads are initiated by a script. Did you disable javascript?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-01-25, 01:09

coffeebreak wrote:
2021-01-25, 00:32
Those downloads are initiated by a script. Did you disable javascript?
JavaScript shouldn't be required. The script is php which is executed on the server, not in the client.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-01-25, 01:28

Moonchild wrote:
2021-01-25, 01:09
JavaScript shouldn't be required.
Off-topic:
Got it. Thanks for explaining.

yohello65

Unread post by yohello65 » 2021-01-25, 02:52

[quote=coffeebreak post_id=207168 time=1611534731 user_id=10338]
You didn't post your information from Help -> Troubleshooting (about:support).
As explained in the linked stickie, please kindly open that page, click "Copy text to clipboard", and post the contents of your clipboard here inside "hide" tags.

I totally would have, but I have no idea how to get to that page. When I click Help in the main menu there's no option to go to troubleshooting, let alone about:support. There's either just forum or FAQ. I've been going in circles for like twenty minutes trying to find it. :crazy:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-01-25, 03:22

Folks are assuming here you are already using Pale Moon to try and download it -- is that the case or are you using a different browser to try and download Pale Moon? I'm thinking the latter -- but it would be important to know in that case what you're trying to use to download. I verified the links and they are all fine so it's definitely not something on the website itself.

What people asking for troubleshooting information mean is the help menu in Pale Moon itself, not on the website.
Attachments
Image1.png
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

yohello65

Unread post by yohello65 » 2021-01-25, 05:38

You are correct, it would be the latter. I have no way to upload troubleshooting information, in that case. I'm trying to download the browser itself but the links won't work for me. I have an Acer E15 AMD E2, and I'm on Windows 8.1. The browser I'm currently using to try and download Pale Moon is Google Chrome, if that helps.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-01-25, 06:40

For disclosure, I don't use Chrome or have it installed, but I web-searched a little and...

Possibly Chrome itself is blocking the downloads.
(see this thread,
plus "Google Chrome to block file downloads – from .exe to .txt – over HTTP by default this year.",
also "Google to block some HTTP file downloads starting with Chrome 83".)

Have heard that this can only be turned off via Group Policy, but...
Does it help to turn off Chrome's "safe browsing" in its privacy settings?
Here's an article on how to do that:
"How to Stop Chrome from Blocking Downloads (2021 Guide)"

Also, if the issue is "mixed content," does it help to download from the Europe download server, since it's "secure'"?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-01-25, 13:15

It's ridiculous that Chrome has started blocking http downloads, to be fair. BUT this is why I've made sure to have https downloads enabled on the European mirror, which will download over https when you visit the download page over https.
It's also really really bad design if Chrome simply refuses the download and doesn't provide any feedback to the user when a download is blocked. That's a serious usability bug.

yohello65

Unread post by yohello65 » 2021-01-31, 19:13

Apologies for taking so long to act on your advice. I turned off safe search on google chrome and downloaded via the european mirror and I'm happy to report that it worked! I'm not sure if it was disabling safe search or using a different mirror, but either way that seemed to do it. Thank you for all your assistance! :D