Pale Moon Portable suddenly autoupdating while setting is "check but let me decide"????

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
nimanima
Fanatic
Fanatic

Pale Moon Portable suddenly autoupdating while setting is "check but let me decide"????

Unread post by nimanima » 2020-10-04, 01:29

I use Pale Moon Portable for yeas now - actually I have never used an installed version! And now just a few minutes ago it tells me that it is DOWNLODING an update, and after that another message popped up that an update has been downloaded and is ready to be installed and whether I want to restart Pale Moon now or later? This means as soon as I close Pale Moon at the end of the day anyway an new versio will overwrite what I ghave now and destroy it. For your information: I have set update to "imform me about new versions but let me decide whether to use them not". Nothing has changed in that. Apar from this auto-updating portabel versions isn't possible anyway! So what new invention is that? I don't like it, and now obviously have no choice bur set update to "never".

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Pale Moon Portable suddenly autoupdating while setting is "check but let me decide"????

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-10-04, 03:33

nimanima wrote:
2020-10-04, 01:29
So what new invention is that?
None. We haven't changed anything in that respect for years.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

nimanima
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Pale Moon Portable suddenly autoupdating while setting is "check but let me decide"????

Unread post by nimanima » 2020-10-04, 04:28

So, how come? I haven't changed anything either. the respective fields in the settings are checked and unckecked as I did long time ago. The only autoupdate I allow is for the search engines, but for the browser and the add-ons I prefer to be informed but not overrun. When updating I download the new file, create a new folder, extract it and copy the "user" folder from previous to new version. That's it. No overwriting. That is one of the reasons why I prefer portable versions. You can keep the old version as backup side by side to the new until you see everything works as you want in the new version and you decide to delete or move the older one. All the years I got an information popup when new version is available, but the updating has to be done manually. Just not today, it has indeed overwritten the 28.14.0. portable with the 28.14.2. portable. Now I have changed the setting to never check for updates, but this is actually not my preferred way.

nimanima
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by nimanima » 2020-10-04, 04:44

Is there anything wrong here?
Attachments
about-config update kpl komp.png