Data collection and cookies?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
OriginalSlim

Data collection and cookies?

Unread post by OriginalSlim » 2020-10-03, 21:09

I probably don't belong here as I am seriously inexperienced about much of the tech going on but:

I am using Pale Moon portable 28.14.2. I have Self Destructing Cookies for Pale Moon 1.0.4.13 Adblock Ultimate 5.0.8 HTTPS Always and Retart BBrowser as add ons.

I went to log on to my email account at GMX.com,only to find that I could not access without first selecting the data/security selections.I tried to log on to my Mail.com (sister site to GMX) and found the same thing.So,I would like to know what kind of data they can collect through my email log ons?I have my Pale Moon Portable on a USB flash drive with nothing else on it,except for FireFox portable.Obviously they can see that I get email from friends and hobby interests,but what else?

When a site sets a cookie,it is stored in the browser right? It's not like they can see anything on my computer that would allow them to gather more information or be used for
identity theft or anything like that,right?

What else can I use other than a portable browser on a dedicated usb flash drive to limit intrusions and data collection?

Thanks for any help.

Slim

Moonbird

Re: Data collection and cookies?

Unread post by Moonbird » 2020-10-05, 09:30

Welcome to the world of the paranoids! From now on, using a computer will require much more thoughts from your brain!

If you want to check, how chatty your computer actually is without you knowing it, have a look at a packet capturing program (Wireshark). It measures all the network traffic that passes your network card or wifi interface. Don't be (or better be) scared, modern operating systems, popular Linux too, do a lot by themselves. If you want to wreck your belief in modern computers, question everything, why it's there and why you need it.

You could run your entire operating system as a live system. When the computer is turned off, no trace is left on it. Except, if the police freezes your RAM in time. Of course, you have to store your data elsewhere, maybe on a USB stick.

Let's have a look at GMX, a 0-Euro mail service. How do they keep the service running? Advertising and selling your data. Look at their terms and conditions. You allowed GMX to catch your data! You may find better peace at another mail provider.

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2020-10-05, 09:45

OriginalSlim wrote:
2020-10-03, 21:09
I went to log on to my email account at GMX.com,only to find that I could not access without first selecting the data/security selections.I tried to log on to my Mail.com (sister site to GMX) and found the same thing.So,I would like to know what kind of data they can collect through my email log ons?I have my Pale Moon Portable on a USB flash drive with nothing else on it,except for FireFox portable.Obviously they can see that I get email from friends and hobby interests,but what else?

When a site sets a cookie,it is stored in the browser right? It's not like they can see anything on my computer that would allow them to gather more information or be used for
identity theft or anything like that,right?
Data collection is more about fingerprinting your browser/phone/computer and tracing your habits in order to build a profile on you that can be used to make predictions. This is done by cookies and html5 canvas fingerprinting (and other ways).
If you do not trust your mail provider, switch to Tutanota or Protonmail.

Tails is a popular USB distro, because it routes all your traffic trough the Tor network.
You could also try porteus of puppy linux, if you want to only run from USB.
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

OriginalSlim

Unread post by OriginalSlim » 2020-10-06, 02:25

Moonbird wrote:
2020-10-05, 09:30
Welcome to the world of the paranoids! From now on, using a computer will require much more thoughts from your brain!

If you want to check, how chatty your computer actually is without you knowing it, have a look at a packet capturing program (Wireshark). It measures all the network traffic that passes your network card or wifi interface. Don't be (or better be) scared, modern operating systems, popular Linux too, do a lot by themselves. If you want to wreck your belief in modern computers, question everything, why it's there and why you need it.

You could run your entire operating system as a live system. When the computer is turned off, no trace is left on it. Except, if the police freezes your RAM in time. Of course, you have to store your data elsewhere, maybe on a USB stick.

Let's have a look at GMX, a 0-Euro mail service. How do they keep the service running? Advertising and selling your data. Look at their terms and conditions. You allowed GMX to catch your data! You may find better peace at another mail provider.
I'm in over my head here,as you folks have far more knowledge about what is going on in tech,and how to combat it.I only know enough to be concerned about security.I have already decided to change email services.I resent having to go through the hassle of updating everything to a new email provider,then I guess I'll have too.

What a nuisance.

OriginalSlim

Unread post by OriginalSlim » 2020-10-06, 02:29

fatboy wrote:
2020-10-05, 09:45

Data collection is more about fingerprinting your browser/phone/computer and tracing your habits in order to build a profile on you that can be used to make predictions. This is done by cookies and html5 canvas fingerprinting (and other ways).
If you do not trust your mail provider, switch to Tutanota or Protonmail.

Tails is a popular USB distro, because it routes all your traffic trough the Tor network.
I'll have to look at Tails and try to figure out how it works.I used to have Tor,but it was frustratingly slow.

I really don't have anything worth hiding,I just object to my being used as a pawn for profit,with no regard for my security.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-10-06, 08:39

OriginalSlim wrote:
2020-10-06, 02:25
I only know enough to be concerned about security.
You seem to be confusing security with privacy. They aren't the same and in fact in some cases they are mutually exclusive.

As for a distro that routes everything through Tor by default... Why on earth would you ever want to use that? For the record, you wouldn't be able to post anything here if you'd be using that distro.
Off-topic:
Also, please quote selectively when you quote; fully quoting previous messages that are close-by makes for a lot of extra unnecessary text to pan by.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-10-06, 11:17

Moonchild wrote:
2020-10-06, 08:39
As for a distro that routes everything through Tor by default... Why on earth would you ever want to use that?
Perfect distro for pedophiles, identity thieves, and other such criminals.

Andrew Herbert

Unread post by Andrew Herbert » 2020-10-06, 12:26

Moonchild wrote:
2020-10-06, 08:39
As for a distro that routes everything through Tor by default... Why on earth would you ever want to use that? For the record, you wouldn't be able to post anything here if you'd be using that distro
Tails isn't designed to be used as a daily driver anyway:
fatboy wrote:
Tails is a popular USB distro

Vultural
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Vultural » 2020-12-24, 03:06

fatboy wrote:
... Tails is a popular USB distro, because it routes all your traffic trough the Tor network.
Puppy seems long in the tooth to me, plus there are sooooo many damn puppies.
Sad, for me, because the original was packed with goodies,
I could, and did, take it anywhere. Even abroad, using internet cafes.
My wife uses a very old lap top, running via flash OS.
Her #1 is Slax, Debian based, with Chromium browser. Minimal, as are her needs.
The #2 is Porteus, slackware, with Pale Moon 28.2.1. Seems to have more functions, and their forum is robust. Spellcheck is problematic.
As far as privacy, I always assume there is none. Email i equate with postcards. I always hold the adage, "Would you be OK if your wife - girlfriend - employer - child - priest - neighbor read your post?" Anonynity is a ghost, and exposure is only a matter of when.

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2020-12-24, 05:28

Vultural wrote:
2020-12-24, 03:06
As far as privacy, I always assume there is none. Email i equate with postcards. I always hold the adage, "Would you be OK if your wife - girlfriend - employer - child - priest - neighbor read your post?" Anonynity is a ghost, and exposure is only a matter of when.
Off-topic:
You have misconceptions about privacy. It's not about "you" doing something wrong or embarrassing and hiding it. It's a right. The more your exercise, stronger you are.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-12-24, 05:35

Off-topic:
A crude but simple analogy - you are doing nothing unlawful or morally wrong when you go to the toilet or are having sex with your partner - doesn't mean you will consent to having a camera spying on you in either case.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Vultural
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Vultural » 2020-12-24, 18:16

Mod. edit: non-contributing/off-topic.
Off-topic:
I think it is a nice idea that everyone has a right to privacy.
As well as various other rights.
Securing those rights, then retaining them take effort.
Not from a few, but from a majority.
And the majority seems to be so easily swayed.
I know there are agencies, governments and corporations, working constantly to undermine or compromise my "rights" - everyone's rights. Has been so since the time of Caesar.
I do as much as I can to protect myself, but I certainly do not count on elected officials to act on my behalf, nor to everyone doing the "right thing." Not when there are financial temptations to do otherwise, not when the majority of leaders have no interest in democracy or their fellow man.
Sorry to sound like Ebenezer. Oh, for an innocent frolic in May.