Download folder

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Davie

Download folder

Unread post by Davie » 2020-07-05, 17:23

Hi, I have been using Pale Moon Portable for some time but one thing has me stumped. I have selected a folder for downloads (D:\TEMP) and this works fine except when I right click an item and saveas, the download then goes to a folder within Pale Moon portable.
Can I somehow change this so all goes to D:\TEMP ?

Thank you.

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Re: Download folder

Unread post by gepus » 2020-07-05, 20:07

Try the following:
Open user.js (it's located in the "Default" sub-folder of Pale Moon's "Profiles" folder) and change the path for "browser.download.lastDir".

user_pref("browser.download.lastDir", "D:\\TEMP");

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2020-07-05, 21:32

To make your chosen path stick, you must first edit some options in the portable version's ".ini".
(Please review these threads: Some advanced options and Pale Moon resets SAVE path.)

In Portable Pale Moon's main folder, copy the file Palemoon-Portable.ini and name the copy user.ini .
User.ini is the file to edit.

Open user.ini with a text editor and comment out each of the (3) options that pertain to downloads
(they'll be under ** User preferences ** and ** Global preferences **), by adding a leading semicolon to each one, as below in red.

;(download directory)
;browser.download.lastDir=$Download$|\\"

;(download)
;browser.download.useDownloadDir=false
;browser.download.manager.retention=1

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2020-07-06, 01:19

I must got old and forgetfully.
Thanks for reminding of user.ini. I managed to forget about it in spite of having it sitting in my Pale Moon folder. :)