Using Pale moon portable at the workplace

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Using Pale moon portable at the workplace

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-05-16, 13:14

There's also the factor of people using portable stuff running off a USB stick at work where installing software may not be allowed - this can be grounds for termination depending on the workplace. If you can't install Pale Moon at work, don't. As a user focused and highly customizable browser like Firefox till version 4, it is the opposite of what a corporate browser needs to be - standardized in terms of settings/features and locked down for security and to keep users from fiddling with settings.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Security advice about the portable

Unread post by Isengrim » 2020-05-16, 13:18

moonbat wrote:
2020-05-16, 13:14
it is the opposite of what a corporate browser needs to be - standardized in terms of settings/features and locked down for security and to keep users from fiddling with settings.
Actually Pale Moon can be these things too if need be. But this isn't the reason companies disallow installing it or other "alternative" browsers.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-05-16, 14:32

Well, Chrome is the new IE. IT departments don't want to waste time supporting users on alternate browsers that won't work with whatever intranet applications they've made that are now Chrome specific same as they once were IE specific. IBM announced around 2008 that they were standardizing around Firefox and proper web standards instead of relying on IE, and would force all their vendors and partners to do the same. No idea if they're still doing that. AFAIK that's the first time a large company officially chose Firefox in the pre Chrome era.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-05-16, 14:57

And all of this has nothing to do with the post I created.
I mean I appreciate your enthusiasm wanting to contribute, moonbat, but please do try to focus it?
Splitting this off.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite