Proper way to uninstall x64 Portable?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
context
Fanatic
Fanatic

Proper way to uninstall x64 Portable?

Unread post by context » 2013-03-27, 06:56

I want to downgrade from the x64 Portable version to the 32-bit equivalent on a Windows 8 PC. There doesn't seem to be any OS entry other than for the desktop icon. Is it as simple as deleting the icon and the Pale Moon directory?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Proper way to uninstall x64 Portable?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-03-27, 07:30

A portable doesn't even create a desktop icon either, so you have probably created that yourself ;)

Removing a portable is as simple as removing the folder you extracted it to. Be aware, if you want to keep your profile and settings from the 64-bit portable to use in the 32-bit portable, you need to save the contents of the "User" subfolder and put that in your new portable.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

context
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by context » 2013-03-27, 07:41

True, I do recall having to create the icon.

BTW, the reason I'm downgrading is that I today had two occurrences of "Unexpected Kernel Mode Trap (igdkmd64.sys)". I had installed Pale Moon only yesterday. I can't know for certain that there's a link to the failures, but I don't have time to dig into it, so I'm following the advice on the post that mentioned possible causes of 64-bit issues.

Thanks for your quick response.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-03-27, 08:01

igdkmd64.sys is the intel graphics driver. If you have those kinds of issues, it's indeed best to switch to a 32-bit version - Intel's 64-bit drivers are not the most stable ones around. (plenty of BSOD reports @ Microsoft for x64 Win 7 environments, for example)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite