2 locations for extensions

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
nord1
Moonbather
Moonbather

2 locations for extensions

Unread post by nord1 » 2019-07-01, 03:06

I was moving back and forth between palemoon and palemoon portable before deciding upon the portable version. Along the way I think I messed up my extensions. When I look inside palemoon portable's folder (PaleMoon), I see the following:

C:\totalcmd\PortableApps\PaleMoon\User\Palemoon\Profiles\Default\extensions
C:\totalcmd\PortableApps\PaleMoon\Bin\Palemoon\browser\extensions

I doubt that I should have both. Any way to tell if this is OK or if I should remove one or the other?

tks for listening
-N-
Framework, Windows 11 Pro, Basilisk, Panda Dome, MalwareBytesPremium, Scotty is On Patrol

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: 2 locations for extensions

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-07-01, 08:48

Extensions installed by you live in your profile (that's the first file path listed):
\User\Palemoon\Profiles\Default\extensions

The second extension folder, \Bin\Palemoon\browser\extensions , is part of the browser itself and contains, AFAIK, the default theme. It belongs there, but you shouldn't add your own stuff to it, or to anywhere else in the \bin directory (if that was part of the question).
Last edited by coffeebreak on 2019-07-01, 08:59, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-07-01, 08:58

If you want to install extensions, do it normally through the add-on manager or from the add-ons site, and the extensions will end up in the correct place in your portable profile.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

nord1
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by nord1 » 2019-07-01, 22:20

coffeebreak wrote:
2019-07-01, 08:48
Extensions installed by you live in your profile (that's the first file path listed):
\User\Palemoon\Profiles\Default\extensions

The second extension folder, \Bin\Palemoon\browser\extensions , is part of the browser itself and contains, AFAIK, the default theme. It belongs there, but you shouldn't add your own stuff to it, or to anywhere else in the \bin directory (if that was part of the question).
coffeebreak,

I removed all the extensions and just left alone the default theme there and it seems to have worked. And yes, that was part of the question. As Moonchild said, I should have installed all my extensions, but I got lazy and did the old copy and paste routine. I now have set it up as portable browser, which fits my needs better (I use 4 different computers in 4 different locations.) Originally I was running everything off the usb stick, but on 2 of those computers I was allowed to install my own programs, hence the use of portableapps folder and sub-folders.

Thanks.
-N-
Framework, Windows 11 Pro, Basilisk, Panda Dome, MalwareBytesPremium, Scotty is On Patrol