Need Theme Location/Folder/Files in PM Portable

For discussions specific to the Portable version of the browser.

Moderator: satrow

BobbyW
Moongazer
Moongazer

Need Theme Location/Folder/Files in PM Portable

Unread post by BobbyW » 2019-06-21, 11:58

I just found an older (probably within last 2 to 5 years) Profile Backup. For fun I decided to take a stroll down memory lane, so I made a new folder, & added the User Folder with the profile, & the Palemoon-Portable.ini from my Backups into it.

To make absolutely sure nothing got corrupted/overwritten in my old backup, I changed/renamed the User folder name to UserXXX & the Palemoon-Portable.ini file to Palemoon-Portable.iniXXX

Then I took my downloaded copy of the latest Portable PM 64 bit version Palemoon-Portable-28.5.2.win64.exe & ran it to that new folder that had the UserXXX & the Palemoon-Portable.iniXXX in it.

When it was finished, I went to that folder & ran the new version exe file to open the browser for the first time.

Once the new browser opened, I closed it.

All I wanted it to do was create a brand new portable install, complete with .ini file & User folder containing a new pristine profile. Most importantly all the other folders & files were created too in the new install.

Now I went into that folder, & deleted the new .ini file, & the new User Folder.....I didn't need them for anything.

This left the UserXXX & the Palemoon-Portable.iniXXX in the folder with all the new installed other folders & their various files.

I removed the XXX off the UserXXX Folder & the XXX off the Palemoon-Portable.iniXXX file.

Then the fun part, I ran the browsers exe file, & the old backup profile opened......everything there, & verified ok.

JFYI, this is exactly how I restore a backed-up profile into a portable folder if the need ever presents itself.

I opened my add-on Manager, & looked in my Themes. There were over 15 Themes in there, of which 2 were incompatible. The others included 4 of my old Personas I creates years ago, & thought were gone forever when Mozilla did it's wipe.

I went through all my Personas & the other themes I had at the time I was using the profile, & they all worked!!

Here's what I need....Naturally I have no way of getting them from Mozilla ever again.....they've been wiped, & the others, AFAIK they were wiped too.....

Where can I get them from within this Profile.....they must be in there somewhere, because they certainly aren't being loaded off any Mozilla site....

I want to archive them - the actual theme files, so I never lose them again......especially my own creations....my personas.

Thank you for the time & effort, not to mention all the boring crap I just had you read, but I had to recreate exactly what I did, so you would have a perfect, complete picture of what I found so you can describe to me exactly how I will need to go about to recover these gems......maybe even use them in future browser version.....even Basilisk (which I really, really like so far!!).

Thanks again...I'll shut my face & leave the rest up to you pro's..........Image .....Bobby :coffee:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Need Theme Location/Folder/Files in PM Portable

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-06-21, 14:26

So, to condense it down for the people who know what this is about: OP is asking how to save/export lightweight themes that are still cached in the browser cache and/or still available resources online.
"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne

New Tobin Paradigm
Off-Topic Sheriff
Off-Topic Sheriff

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-06-21, 14:28

That is extremely difficult.. by design. Lightweight themes are more of a service than a theme, rather transient. Not that it can't be done.. maybe... But not worth my time to look into.

I do wish you luck.

Frasier
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Frasier » 2019-06-21, 19:00

How about using the Pale Moon - Add-ons - FEBE extension? It works with the portable Pale Moon. Might be overkill but it gets the job done.
FEBE2_Restore_Options.png

New Tobin Paradigm
Off-Topic Sheriff
Off-Topic Sheriff

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-06-21, 21:42

Well yeah if that extension can do it.. But manually? Forget about it.