'./profiles.ini' not automatic?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
gggirlgeek

Re: './profiles.ini' not automatic?

Unread post by gggirlgeek » 2019-07-01, 11:29

markfilipak wrote:
2019-05-27, 21:42

[In Profiles.ini]....
'[Profile0]'
and
'[Profile1]'
are the same. I do that to force PM to prompt me -- it prevents PM from immediately fully opening when the Linux VM runs. I know I could remove PM from applications that automatically run on Linux boot, but I prefer to do it this way.
Thanks for the tip! I didn't know this. I have always used the "-P" modifier in a shortcut, as well as making sure "Start with last profile" is disabled in the profile manager. I will try this in hopes that Palemoon/Firefox doesn't overwrite it.

markfilipak

Re: './profiles.ini' not automatic?

Unread post by markfilipak » 2019-07-02, 02:30

gggirlgeek wrote:
2019-07-01, 11:20
... I am slowly converting to the Portableapps format but the launcher-style makes it a pain to use multiple profiles.
I assume that creating a dummy/duplicate profile has solved that problem.
... For security, I also like being prompted by the profile manager before external apps open my browser.
Indeed. That's why I use my dummy/duplicate profile trick.
I simply create a symbolic link to the "Pale moon" folder that contains "Profiles" in %userprofile%/AppData/Moonchild Productions/ (same with %userprofile%/AppData/Mozilla/.) For example: "C:/Users/Me/Moonchild Productions/Pale moon/". My real Pale Moon folder is in "P:/Portable/Pale moon/userdata/Pale Moon/."
Well, I took a different tac. I created a VHD (virtual hard disk), 'Palemoon portable (Linux).vhd', which is auto-mounted in my Linux VM. I also keep my profile(s) on that VHD. So far I've had no problems. The only complication is that clicking on a link in email doesn't work anymore. Pale Moon does open, but I have to paste the link into the URL bar. Oh, well. I can live with that. The bonuses:
1, I can copy 'Palemoon portable (Linux).vhd' (which backs up Pale Moon & my profiles(s) in one shot), and
2, I can mount 'Palemoon portable (Linux).vhd' in the Windows host and explore it (and fix it) if I have problems with it, and
3, I can use the same VHD for various Linux VMs.