Process still in use after shutdown!

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
buggy

Process still in use after shutdown!

Unread post by buggy » 2013-03-12, 09:03

After shutdown PM portable and waiting a long time the process do not want to stop, i must kill it in the task manager, why please?

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Process still in use after shutdown!

Unread post by Blacklab » 2013-03-12, 23:38

I wonder if this old Portable topic: http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=322 might describe/explain/answer your problem?

buggy

Unread post by buggy » 2013-03-13, 04:56

From Moonchild: "the portable launcher waits for Pale Moon to completely shut down before it terminates itself (to prevent improper cleanup and to run some maintenance tasks after the program has run)"

Sometimes for tests i use PM desktop and PM portable together, it happens only when PM desktop is always in use so now i understand the portable launcher confuses the two that's why! probably by design also... another reason I think this portable version should be called only semi-portable. Thank you for enlightening me Blacklab.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-03-13, 07:34

The portable version is portable, not "semi-portable". A portable piece of software allows for you to "take it with you" on removable media without needing to install anything on host computers, and that is what Pale Moon Portable does, exactly. Not just half.

The fact that the launcher keeps running until all palemoon.exe processes have closed is a safeguard, so the after-run maintenance file handling isn't started until Pale Moon is no longer running, so yes, this is very much by design, to prevent data corruption, incomplete backups of passwords and bookmarks, etc.

You may be confusing "portable" with "virtualized" here.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

buggy

Unread post by buggy » 2013-03-13, 11:19

Moonchild wrote:You may be confusing "portable" with "virtualized" here.
You're totally right, but i have already constated another interferences between both in the past. I thinked to open a thread in requests to ask after a virtualized version but i have no much hope... i know somewhere else it exist however... i do not know if it is so difficult to do, maybe i'll try to make one myself when i have time...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-03-13, 12:33

maybe i'll try to make one myself when i have time...
As long as you keep in mind that you can only use the resulting virtualized application for your own personal use.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

buggy

Unread post by buggy » 2013-03-13, 18:58

For my own pleasure and my personal satisfaction don't worry, btw people should know it's not prudent to use a browser downloaded anywhere!