Incorrect update notifications

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Brian

Incorrect update notifications

Unread post by Brian » 2019-02-12, 16:52

PM Portable unstable keeps telling me there's an update to the exact same version I'm already running. It's happened since I started using it, several versions ago.
ie. I'm using the current, 28.4.0a1, and got a notification to update to 28.4.0a1. Why?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Incorrect update notifications

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-02-12, 16:57

You're using the unstable channel. Unstable channel versions aren't bumped with each release because it's rolling. Did you intend to be running the unstable version, because it doesn't sound like you do?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Brian

Unread post by Brian » 2019-02-12, 20:29

Moonchild wrote:You're using the unstable channel. Unstable channel versions aren't bumped with each release because it's rolling. Did you intend to be running the unstable version, because it doesn't sound like you do?
So I guess I sound ignorant.

Yes I did mean to use the unstable channel, mainly because of the red icon, and because if there are bugs, it's not a big deal, so why not?
But your unstable page only says:
Updating
The unstable versions have their own update channel, separate from official releases. The preferred way of updating is to let the internal updater do its task (default setting is to update automatically).

I don't want anything updating on it's own, as for one thing I may need the bandwidth at that moment, and the unstable page doesn't mention that versions aren't bumped with each update. Now I know.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-02-12, 22:46

Brian wrote:So I guess I sound ignorant.
I was just wondering if you intended to run the versions from the unstable channel.

If you aren't comfortable with automatic updates and your bandwidth is limited, then the unstable channel is not the right choice for you. Updates will be 50MB or so each, and may come at daily (or sometimes faster) pace. Updates will also not always be in a usable state for daily work, so your workflow can be interrupted.

By the sound of it, you don't want what the unstable channel offers. Automatic updates are imperative for this channel to be useful.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite