Moonchild Productions subfolder in Roaming...

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
newPMuser

Moonchild Productions subfolder in Roaming...

Unread post by newPMuser » 2018-06-06, 13:54

Hi,

An actual portable app. should not create neither leave ANY data, including if not above all: empty folders, in the user folder, i.e. (Win. 10) %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\

PM 27.9.2 (64-bit) & other versions (32-bit) do create an empty "Moonchild Productions" subfolder in "Roaming" -- and leave it there afterwards.

This (2013...) reply viewtopic.php?t=2323 explains that "Palemoon is portable, not 'stealth'".

I find it annoying, especially in PCs that I don't own of course and, moreover, in companies PCs, notably paranoid: where the administrator(s) will NOT allow any data creation outside whatever 'portable' app. folder is run (if many users never encounter that situation, I sure have!).

So, as requested in the old 2013 post, I would ALSO like PM to be (or become) 100% portable / of course, I have read the answer: "underlying Mozilla code (that) creates a vendor & application folder in AppData whenever a Firefox-based app. is launched"...

... and haven't tried -- yet -- to "virtualize" Palemoon by myself, using e.g. "Cameyo", may be?

So far, all I've been able to do is adding the following line

DirRemove=%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Moonch~1

to the [RunAfter] section, in "Palemoon-Portable.ini" -- so that the "Moonchild Productions" subfolder gets deleted from "Roaming"; BUT, (as expected) only after closing Palemoon...

... which is yet NOT ("stealth") enough to meet companies admins' requirements / restrictions.

About the fact that "Windows creates + keeps traces of anything that was run anyway", I won't comment much:

obviously, any OS needs to be aware of what the user executes -- although we know (more or less) to which point Microsoft spies on everything: way too much, keeping such info. too long, etc.; thus forcing the user to use "CCleaner" or else (while trying to discourage its use, in Win. 10...);

but those chunks of data are activity records, not the unwanted subfolder in question, neither new registry entries -- that PM does not seem to create, BTW (haven't checked on that, yet).

Regards,
newPMuser

Fedor2

Re: Moonchild Productions subfolder in Roaming...

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2018-06-14, 17:47

Indeed palemoon portable create empty folder there, did not remark that until now. So it is code editing must be involved, and i consider do it, because i do not like appdata idea at all, on my pc i do it readonly sometimes.

Fedor2

Re: Moonchild Productions subfolder in Roaming...

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2018-07-30, 14:16

I have found what to edit in the code:

1. toolkit\profile\nsToolkitProfileService.cpp

Code: Select all

nsresult
nsToolkitProfileService::Init(int portable)
{
    //MYPAL CODE
    if(portable>0) return NS_OK;

NS_ASSERTION(gDirServiceProvider, "No dirserviceprovider!");
    nsresult rv;
2. dom\system\OSFileConstants.cpp
Make the check above or skip

Code: Select all

GetPathToSpecialDir(NS_OS_HOME_DIR, paths->homeDir);
  GetPathToSpecialDir(NS_OS_DESKTOP_DIR, paths->desktopDir);
  GetPathToSpecialDir(XRE_USER_APP_DATA_DIR, paths->userApplicationDataDir);

#if defined(XP_WIN)