Uninstall Remove Palemoon Protable

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
HyeVltg3

Uninstall Remove Palemoon Protable

Unread post by HyeVltg3 » 2018-03-22, 02:16

I have a folder on an external HDD that holds all my favorite application, adding Palemoon to the collection.

I ran the Unzip.exe and set the Folder location to the External HDD.

I now have a ton of folders and files littering the root of my ExtHDD.

How do I reverse/remove/uninstall the Palemoon Portable x64 ?

(this drive contains almost 11 years of programs, I just had the time to grab Palemoon Portable as I've been using the desktop version, planning to reinstall Win10 due to other reasons, just making a backup of sorts)

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Uninstall Remove Palemoon Protable

Unread post by adesh » 2018-03-22, 16:59

There is no magic reversal for this. You have to manually delete the files and folders created by the installer.

Suggestion: I think it would be better to have a top level directory in the installer archive so that these issues do not recur. That would make the installer similar to linux mainline binaries which are almost like a portable installation. "tar -xf palemoon-xxxxxx.tar.bz2" is a breeze on linux.

HyeVltg3

Unread post by HyeVltg3 » 2018-03-22, 21:50

Yes that what I assumed hence why I'm in this predicament. I saw that the unzip-er was not inputting a folder name (eg: Palemoon Portable) but assumed it was like some other installers that add a folder after you selection path. -sigh-

I wish I could use the Date Modified trick to find all of palemoon's files but it unzipped files in a cut-over state, which mantains timestamps of when the files were packaged, if it used Copy instead of Cut, new timestamps are created.

Found a workaround and thought I'd post it in case someone else lands here looking for a solution:

- In the Location you want Palemoon Portable's main directory to be, create a New Folder > name it "Palemoon Portable"
- run the downloaded .exe "extraction" file (a.k.a the setup file you just downloaded for Palemoon Portable)
- THIS TIME change the install path to the newly created folder (above)
- let the extractor run.

Open the Palemoon Portable folder, just use this folder and file structure to find out what was added to your Portable Apps Location, find and delete.
Messy and tedious but, at the moment there is no uninstaller or "undo" function.

karlkracher
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by karlkracher » 2018-03-22, 22:43

One more hint: modern operating systems with modern file systems not only save the time of the last file change (this is the one explorer normally shows) but also the time of the file creation. This should be the time of your first erroneous run of the installer.

HyeVltg3

Unread post by HyeVltg3 » 2018-03-23, 22:50

karlkracher wrote:One more hint: modern operating systems with modern file systems not only save the time of the last file change (this is the one explorer normally shows) but also the time of the file creation. This should be the time of your first erroneous run of the installer.
But is Date Created a good way to find recently added files to make it easy to delete? I believe that is the main issue.

karlkracher
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by karlkracher » 2018-03-26, 09:32

HyeVltg3 wrote:But is Date Created a good way to find recently added files to make it easy to delete? I believe that is the main issue.
This the time stamp when the files were physically created on your drive while unpacking the zip (with the exception of files which where already present). My notice were a answer to
HyeVltg3 wrote:I wish I could use the Date Modified trick to find all of palemoon's files but it unzipped files in a cut-over state, which mantains timestamps of when the files were packaged, if it used Copy instead of Cut, new timestamps are created
Date Modified will not work but Date Created should do.
Last edited by karlkracher on 2018-03-26, 09:33, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-03-26, 15:54

You know, http://www.palemoon.org/palemoon-portable.shtml has clear instructions. If you choose not to read the simple 3-step instruction and follow it, ...
How do I use this?
Three simple steps:

1. Download the Pale Moon Portable file (below)
2. Extract the contents of the file to your USB stick in a folder of your choice:
Run the .EXE file and tell it where to unpack (should be an empty or new folder)
3. Run palemoon-portable.exe (not palemoon.exe) in the location you unpacked to
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

extra_D_string
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by extra_D_string » 2018-04-04, 10:49

If portable is the way I understand, then all of the "installation" is in one single main folder and you should be able to simply delete the folder. Everything will be removed this way. NO uninstaller to run. (Maybe Pale Moon "portable" was made to work differently than what "portable" means.)

SmileyFaze
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by SmileyFaze » 2018-04-15, 03:39

extra_D_string wrote:If portable is the way I understand, then all of the "installation" is in one single main folder and you should be able to simply delete the folder. Everything will be removed this way. NO uninstaller to run. (Maybe Pale Moon "portable" was made to work differently than what "portable" means.)
You understand correctly, & the Portable Pale Moon installer works exactly that way......it installs to the folder that you direct it to extract to, & if you ever need to delete/uninstall Pale Moon, deleting that one(1) folder completely deletes the Pale Moon Portable installed in that one(1) folder in it's entirety.

Want to keep a backup?

Simple, just make a copy of that folder & place it wherever you want the backup to reside.

extra_D_string
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by extra_D_string » 2018-05-10, 23:17

Thanks. That is good to know. My installation of Pale Moon is currently only as INSTALLED the normal way and not portable but right now this is fine for me.

------------------------------
Laptop, Toshiba Satellite
Windows Vista, s.p.2
Security & Protection: Norton Security v22.12.1.15
Favored Installed Browers: Opera v36, Pale Moon v27,
Other browsers avaialbe: Slimjet v11, Comodo Ice Dragon v52, Firefox ESR v52.7, Internet Explorer v9
Last edited by extra_D_string on 2018-05-10, 23:20, edited 1 time in total.