Palemoon-Portable.ini does not exist

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Brian

Palemoon-Portable.ini does not exist

Unread post by Brian » 2018-02-21, 18:15

I had PM Portable installed and it ran fine by running Palemoon-Portable.exe. Much of the contents of it's folder got deleted, so I reinstalled PMP 64 bit to that folder, but now when I try to run Palemoon-Portable.exe, I get the error "\Palemoon-Portable.ini does not exist". palemoon.exe in the same root folder runs OK. What do I need to do?

Fedor2

Re: Palemoon-Portable.ini does not exist

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2018-02-22, 11:31

so it is wrong with that folder, check it, suspecting you luanched Palemoon-Portable.exe from wrong place.

Try different folder.

Brian

Unread post by Brian » 2018-02-22, 14:35

I'm not sure what you mean. I run Palemoon-Portable.exe in the root folder that the downloaded archive file extracted it to.

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2018-02-22, 15:06

You need to create a new folder to extract to. I believe that the folder structure your extracting to is incorrect because palemoon.exe should not be in the root folder. Only palemoon-portable.exe and palemoon-portable.ini files and related folders should show in root folder.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

CraigPD
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by CraigPD » 2018-02-22, 15:18

This is what the portable directory should look like afterward. Palemoon.exe is in the Bin subfolder, not the root.
portable root directory
portable root directory

Brian

Unread post by Brian » 2018-02-22, 18:50

It had palemoon.exe in the root and in the BIN folder.

I tried it again. Even more strange now, I have palemoon.exe in the root, but no Palemoon-Portable.exe, and no BIN folder this time.
I'm using palemoon-27.7.2.win64.installer.exe

Also, when I was deleting the contents to reinstall, it wouldn't let me delete palemoon.exe because it said it was already open, but that was my regular install of PM running. Why doesn't it know the difference? FYI, I did close PM to install PMP.

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2018-02-22, 19:49

Windows doesn't know the difference. If an instance of palemoon.exe is running it cant be deleted. I still suggest a new folder to unzip to.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

Brian

Unread post by Brian » 2018-02-22, 20:19

billmcct wrote:I still suggest a new folder to unzip to.
It's an empty folder except the user folder, which I'm hoping to keep. No files in root. It's not a folder/subfolder in Pale Moon's. Completely separate location.
Also, I had PMP in the same location just fine until I accidentally deleted some files/folders.

Brian

Unread post by Brian » 2018-02-23, 14:55

^ Can't edit my post, but to add to that, when I open palemoon.exe, it shows the bookmarks from my regular install. If it's portable, why would it do that?

Anyone know what's going on? It was working fine before. I just want it back to that.

CraigPD
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by CraigPD » 2018-02-23, 16:36

Brian wrote:I'm using palemoon-27.7.2.win64.installer.exe
Try using the Palemoon-Portable-27.7.2.win64.exe download link on the Pale Moon Portable download page and not the installer you listed above.
Last edited by CraigPD on 2018-02-23, 16:40, edited 1 time in total.

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2018-02-23, 17:16

Brian wrote:^ Can't edit my post, but to add to that, when I open palemoon.exe, it shows the bookmarks from my regular install. If it's portable, why would it do that?

Anyone know what's going on? It was working fine before. I just want it back to that.
You should be using the portable launcher, "palemoon-portable.exe" in the root folder. Using palemoon.exe in the bin folder will always use the installed profile.
Tommy Lasorda

Brian

Unread post by Brian » 2018-02-23, 17:47

I screwed up. I had both the regular and portable install files (among others) downloaded and had accidentally deleted the portable one instead, so was using the other to install. I feel stupid. Sorry for the trouble and thanks for the help.

Folder structure look great now, with the only files in the root being Palemoon-Portable.exe and Palemoon-Portable.ini.

BUT when I try to run Palemoon-Portable.exe, it says PM is already running. I had no problem starting PMP before while PM was already running, but before I was using an older version of portable (26.5.0) than my regular install (27). So I deleted and Installed PMP 26.5 instead, but when it starts, it's stuck on the spinning cursor, and Pale Moon Release Notes page tab is frozen (blank page), and Not Responding in title bar. I've tried a few times. Any idea?
This is using Palemoon-Portable-26.5.0.win64.exe from ftp://archive.palemoon.org/26.x/26.5.0/

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2018-02-23, 20:28

With Pm closed open the palemoon-portable.ini file and check file for:

[Environment]
;(multiple istances)
MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1 (Should be 1)

MultipleInstances=true
Last edited by billmcct on 2018-02-23, 20:32, edited 2 times in total.
Tommy Lasorda

Brian

Unread post by Brian » 2018-02-23, 20:50

My ini is exactly like that.

CraigPD
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by CraigPD » 2018-02-23, 21:32

Then scientific method would suggest you try commenting out MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1 and see what results.
More info - viewtopic.php?f=14&t=14144&p=100661&hil ... te#p100753

Brian

Unread post by Brian » 2018-02-23, 21:50

Same problem after commenting it out.

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2018-02-23, 22:14

May be it is actually runing, in hunging state possible, or you have opened file inside profile, it shows that it is runing too on that case. Do full restart of the system with cloasing all apps, otherwise find what is holding profile files.

And i recommend to leave MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1