Some websites very slow to Complete page loading

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
johnb

Some websites very slow to Complete page loading

Unread post by johnb » 2012-12-01, 11:27

Hi All, Thanks for your Hard Work & Great Support!

Using: XP, PM 15-3-1 portable, 32-bit, 2 gig memory.

I don't think this is a PM problem-- & all suggestions/help appreciated.

Some websites pause/hang just before completing the page load process.

Link to example: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/10-peo ... genumber=3

Here's what I did:

Downloaded & ran PM portable 15-3-1 unmodified-- meaning no addons, no options changes, no about:config changes, no extra plugins, etc. etc.

I experienced the problem described above (I've had similar problems with prior versions, but seems to be getting worse.).

I then added: adblock plus, ghostery with all blocking options enabled, and checked "tell websites-- don't track".

Problem with pause at end of page load slightly faster, but still very noticeable.

Any addons, prefs changes, etc. that would alleviate problem?
Should I use hosts file?
Anything else?

I tried disabling javascript, but this caused many page item failures.

Thanks for all help. John

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Re: Some websites very slow to Complete page loading

Unread post by satrow » 2012-12-01, 12:27

Hi John, ensure you enable and watch the Status bar when you have issues with site loading.

With your link (no Add-ons but hpHosts hosts file), I saw waits for ajax.googleapis more than any other, this may vary by server load, routing, time of day - who knows ^^.

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2012-12-02, 05:32

I just tested the page and the slowdown comes from the comments section just 1316 and 76 people watching the page when I tested the link. ;)

It made the same slowdown that you did mention, but I saw a "loading wheel" in the end of the page and then "BANG!" the comments. The end of the page says "Powered by Livefyre" so maybe they have the bottle neck here.

dallas7

Unread post by dallas7 » 2012-12-02, 20:32

The connections to Livefyre are via port 8080 and are extremely persistent. If you are running a third party firewall you might want to see how it handles outbound connections to HTTP ports other than 80 and 443. If you're running XPs firewall, that wouldn't be it I think.

Incidentally, those port 8080 connections persist long after one leaves marketwatch. This is an incredibly snoopy Web site. Were I to need to access it on a routine basis I'd block 8080 outbounds to its IP CIDR - 107.20.0.0/14 to start with; as it's Amazon hosted, might need some fine tuning. (I run Online Armor Premium for those tasks.)

Alternatively, if you are familiar/comfortable with the concept, you can block the page's comment-stream element. One (and easy) way to do that is with Adblock Plus: paste marketwatch.com##.fyre-comment-stream into Element Hiding Rules.

Cheers.