Version 27.5 won't load google news

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Version 27.5 won't load google news

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2017-09-27, 14:16

I did the Portable 27.5 upgrade and now I can no longer load the google news page. I also have desktop version 27.4.2 and this loads the news site fine.

I get a P M pop-up: The page insn't redirecting properly. Pale Moon has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.

I have tried loading the news in the portable version by going to google, clicking the gear wheel icon and then selecting news. Same result. Google search loads fine and works fine. I can get to Youtube using the gear icon. I am not sure if the issue is in P M 27.5 (as on my portable stick) or something on google's end. But the fact that my older hard drive version still works fine, I am thinking it is 27.5?

I use portable on my desktop because I have two different about:config files for it than for the desktop version. This is more secure but the result is one financial site wont work with something in the settings. I have none of those settings in the portable version and it will load that one site.I also use the portable version to test drive ypgrades before i risk them on the desktop. Right now I will not upgrade the desktop version until I can figure out what is going on.
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

snertev

Re: Version 27.5 won't load google news

Unread post by snertev » 2017-09-27, 14:24

TwoTankAmin wrote:I did the Portable 27.5 upgrade and now I can no longer load the google news page. I also have desktop version 27.4.2 and this loads the news site fine.

I get a P M pop-up: The page insn't redirecting properly. Pale Moon has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.

I have tried loading the news in the portable version by going to google, clicking the gear wheel icon and then selecting news. Same result. Google search loads fine and works fine. I can get to Youtube using the gear icon. I am not sure if the issue is in P M 27.5 (as on my portable stick) or something on google's end. But the fact that my older hard drive version still works fine, I am thinking it is 27.5?

I use portable on my desktop because I have two different about:config files for it than for the desktop version. This is more secure but the result is one financial site wont work with something in the settings. I have none of those settings in the portable version and it will load that one site.I also use the portable version to test drive ypgrades before i risk them on the desktop. Right now I will not upgrade the desktop version until I can figure out what is going on.
On plain vanilla installation, it works:

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2017-09-27, 14:33

This is not a problem with the browser. The issue is a redirect loop on the server - this is Google's fault. Based on your cookies, Google is making decisions to redirect you to another page, anothe page redirects you somewhere, and ... this goes on until it becomes a never ending cycle.
My suggestion: clear you browser data related to Google and you should be good.

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2017-09-27, 16:23

I have no data re Google. i do not store any cookies ir super cookies on either of my Pale Moon browsers. Nor didd I change any of my settings on either versions. Last night before I went to bed the portable upgrade notice popped up and I allowed it. This morning Google locks up when I go to the same link I have used with P M for years.
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2017-09-27, 17:23

In all of the time I have been using 27.5 (unstable + beta + official release), I have not had any problems with the Google News site.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2017-09-27, 17:39

TwoTankAmin wrote:I have no data re Google...
There should be something with your setup causing this behaviour. Does the issue occur with a clean profile?

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2017-09-27, 19:34

Not sure what a clean profile is? I tried searching the site for an explanation. That was a waste of time :cry:

But exactly how would upgrading to 27.5 harm my profile? It must have been OK before I upgraded since it worked fine going to Google news. And I still get there on my desktop version which is 27.4.2. And until I can understand why I have an issue with the 0portable 27.5, I cannot upgrade the desktop version i mostly use. I cannot take that chance.

I do only 3 things with google and I am not registered there. 1. I do searches on normal search. 2. I do searches on Google Scholar. 3. I view YouTube videos. On the Portable 27.5 I can still do all three of these things. What i cannot do is get to the google news page the way I did less than 24 hours ago with Portable 27.4.2.

I use the same plug-ins and extensions on both the desktop and portable versions. I have the same bookmarks. I have mostly the same settings- desktop remembers history and portable uses private browsing. I have never made any changes to the about:config settings in the portable version, but I have about 15 or so custom settings on the desktop version which will not work properly on the Vanguard brokerage site. The portable version always has and still does work on Vanguard.

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2017-09-28, 03:44

Well, it is working again and I did nothing. I have been busy all day and evening and offline for many hours. I just gave it another try and it loaded. I have to believe the problem was on Google's end and they fixed it.