Can I change the about:home image?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Can I change the about:home image?

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2017-05-02, 20:28

I have Windows 7 (64 bit). I run the 32 bit versions of Pale Moon.

When a new version of PM comes out, I generally install the portable version on a USB stick, and copy the profile from my desktop computer version of PM. That way, I can make sure there are no problems before I install the newer version on my desktop.

But there is nothing in the portable version (About Pale Moon, etc.) that indicates it is a portable version. Since I am using the same profile on both, it is very easy to mix them up.

So I would like to change the about:home image to something else. But I can't figure out how to do this. Can someone provide guidance?

I know there are add-ons like Browser Backgrounds where one can insert their own images, but that seems to only work on manually opened tabs; not on the tab which appears when PM opens.

Harry

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Re: Can I change the about:home image?

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2017-05-02, 21:17

The Home Styler extension allows for complete themes to style this page. Other than this, you could install userstyles with the Stylish add-on that provide styles for about:home (or make your own).

1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2017-05-03, 04:26

Lootyhoof wrote:The Home Styler extension allows for complete themes to style this page. Other than this, you could install userstyles with the Stylish add-on that provide styles for about:home (or make your own).
Thanks for both suggestions. I first installed Home Styler. However, I could never access the setup window you show on this page: https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/home-styler/, and the standard PM about:home image did not change. I even reverted to the default theme for 27.3.0, since you said it did not work with all themes. I still cannot find the setup window. How do I access it?

I use Stylish, and several userstyles. So I disabled Home Styler, and installed one of the about:home userstyle choices. It is installed, but again, nothing changed.

Is it possible that either Home Styler or the about:home userstyles do not work on a portable version of Pale Moon, or am I missing something simple?

Harry

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2017-05-03, 13:49

1210_bex wrote:
Lootyhoof wrote:The Home Styler extension allows for complete themes to style this page. Other than this, you could install userstyles with the Stylish add-on that provide styles for about:home (or make your own).
Thanks for both suggestions. I first installed Home Styler. However, I could never access the setup window you show on this page: https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/home-styler/, and the standard PM about:home image did not change. I even reverted to the default theme for 27.3.0, since you said it did not work with all themes. I still cannot find the setup window. How do I access it?

I use Stylish, and several userstyles. So I disabled Home Styler, and installed one of the about:home userstyle choices. It is installed, but again, nothing changed.

Is it possible that either Home Styler or the about:home userstyles do not work on a portable version of Pale Moon, or am I missing something simple?

Harry
Using Home Styler depends on which complete theme you have enabled as to whether support is provided. At this time the following should provide support:

Dark Moon
Littlemoon
Material Moon
MicroMoon
Nauticalia
Stratum
Tangerinemoon
Tangomoon
Walnutty
White Moon

As for the userstyles, did you reload the page after the styles were applied? There shouldn't be any issues on a portable version.

1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2017-05-03, 21:23

Lootyhoof:

I tried installing two of the themes you listed: Dark Moon & Walnutty. The themes themselves install, but the about:home page does not change from the Pale Moon default one. I have tried setting the Home Page: entry to both the Default, and to about:logopage. No difference from either setting.

So clearly I am missing something here.

I have also tried multiple userstyles, restarting PM after each one is installed. Nothing happens. Apparently I can't set a userstyle AND run in PM's Safe Mode concurrently. I tried that.

Harry

1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2017-05-04, 00:28

Lootyhoof:

I have it all sorted out, finally. I started with a new clean portable install, with no add ons. After lots of trials, I figured out that instead of setting Options->General->Startup-> Home Page to: about:logopage, I needed to manually type in about:home. Selecting 'Restore to Default' did not do it.

After typing in about:home, then it would automatically switch to the Pale Moon Start Page, and then either your Home Styler or Stylish's userstyles.org (selecting something from their about:home options) would work. I found a very simple style where I can use whatever image I create.

So it all works fine, once I figured out this step.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Harry

1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2017-05-06, 04:22

I tried the Stylish about:home add-ons, and found a very simple one that would allow me to upload my own image. But my css is very poor, and I could never get rid of the Seach Bar, and other controls superimposed on the image. And I am not skilled enough to be able to create my own userstyle for this.

So I went to Options->General->Startup-> Home Page, and inserted an image that I created and uploaded to my website. You can see it on the attachment.

But note that the browser Title line now includes the image file name, type & size (underlined in red) preceding the normal 'Pale Moon' text. Is there some trick whereby I could hide that image information?

Harry
Attachments
PaleMoon_OwnImage.png