Problems on sites with Portable 27.2.1

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Problems on sites with Portable 27.2.1

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2017-04-06, 18:25

I am working with Portable P M 27.2.1 64 bit on a USB 3 stick. I also have 26.5 32 bit installed on my HD. (OS is Win 7 Home Prem. 64 bit.) The idea is to use Portable to get 27 working OK before doing a permanent upgrade. (I am operating under the assumption that 27.2.1 should work identically whether it is a Portable USB based version or a regularly installed version on my hard drive.) I am using almost identical settings in both 26.5 and Portable 27 as well as the same extensions and plug-ins. In some cases the versions may differ. In two cases the extension version in 27 is a TEST version created via the P M Tester Tool (SDC and Ghostery). The plug-ins only differ for Java- one is 32 bit and the other is 64.

The first thing I discovered with 27 was some really good news. Several secure sites which 26.5 would/could not load were apparently working in 27. This includes the Morgan Stanley brokerage site, the Citibank site and the site for one of my Credit Cards. The first two sites I have been able to access using FF ver. 28, but the CC site would not even work with that.

As I got portable 27 configured better and better, I began to do some online things with it. And that is when other issues began to appear. I went to the Home Depot site to look for some things I needed. When I typed a term into the search box and hit enter, nothing happened. I could not make it do a search on the site. The same issue on also happened when I tried to change the store selection. When I typed my zip code into the box and hit enter, this too was dead. Here is what tried to fix this problem:

1. First, I did a per session suspend of Ghostery and ABL for Home Depot. This did not help.
2. Second, I also changed the P M cookie settings to allow them all (I never usually allow 3rd party cookies). This did not help.
3. Third, I also made sure all 3 plug-igns were set to always allow- Flash ESR 18.0.382, Silverlight and Java. This did not help.
4. Fourth, I turned off the P M pop-up blocker. This did not help.
5. Fifth, I reloaded P M using safe mode so all extensions were disabled. This did not help.

At this point I could not think of anything more to try. If I use FF ver. 28, with mostly the same add-ons and settings as I use in P M, it works fine on the Home Depot site.

But this was not the end of things in Portable 27. I next went to the Morgan Stanley site and logged on. I did some looking around and everything seemed to be working that I checked out. I was a happy camper. Being done, I clicked on the box to Log Off. Nothing happened. This box was as dead as the search boxes on Home Depot. None of the solutions I tried for Home Depot helped on the M S either. I am able to log on and off of M S using FF 28. At this point I stopped using P M Portable online.

Any thoughts, suggestions or help here are greatly appreciated. Please, please bear in mind that any instructions need to be stated in an idiot proof way. I had somebody try to help me download the APIs to run through the P M tester tool. They told me to right click on install and then choose "save file as." However, there was no such option. The option I saw said "save link as." To me these were not the same as they were not the identical terms. A file and a link are not the same things as far as I knew. It turned out, in this case, they are the actually same function. I am a reasonable person, but how the heck am I expected to know two clearly different terms mean the same thing???? Even the most unsophisticated user knows that a link and a file are two different things. So please, if you tell me to do or look for something, if I do not see exactly what you describe, I will not feel safe proceeding any further. I am afraid there is to much of a chance I will be doing something wrong which I will not be able to undo or fix. Please do not feel like you are insulting me by assuming I am and idiot when it comes to this stuff because I am.

If troubleshooting information is needed for any of the three browser I mentioned, I can provide it.

I really want to be able to continue using pale moon. I cannot say how much this is the case. It seems to be the only easily customizable browser available which also respects one privacy. I know because I hate having FF 28 as my back-up browser and I have been searching for another option with very little success. I will take a look a Comodo Ice Dragon next. But, I am not expecting much from it either.
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

LifeGoesOn
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Re: Problems on sites with Portable 27.2.1

Unread post by LifeGoesOn » 2017-04-07, 19:27

I use PM portable 27.2.1 with both [TEST]Ghostery & SDC and ABL and also use NoScript

Home Depot search worked fine for me once I allowed NoScript access, before that nothing happened. the other add-on I didn't need to touch.
Can't offer a solution but it's not those add-ons causing the problems.

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2017-04-07, 19:56

LifeGoesOn
TY

As part of a suggestion in another thread, I downloaded a clean copy of Portable. I am supposed to install a single extension. However, out of curiosity I decided to try out the homedepot.com site and do a search. It worked fine. This means the problem is not native to a clean P M 27 nor my Windows 7 Home set-ups. I yhink I am safe to conclude that one of three things is causing my problems:

1. Something in how I set the various preferences is causing the issue. However, I did try reverting all that I thought might be responsible. No success.
2. Something I have installed in terms of extensions is causing the problem, or at least in what setting I have in them. However, I did try restarting with add-ons disabled. No success.
3. Somehow I have a leak between my HD version of 26.5 and the USB drive version of Portable 27. I have no way to see or confirm this for sure except that settings changes in Portable 27 seem to affect 26.5 for some extensions.

I will try downloading the extension involve next and see what happens
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2017-04-07, 20:13

Try disabling or reinstalling your extensions one by one and see which one may be the cause. Maybe make sure all your prefs are set to their default state. Make a back up/screenshot it before your do please.
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2017-04-07, 21:06

It gets nuttier. I did all the stuff re a fresh copy of SDC etc. As part of that I disabled SDC in 26.5 as well.

When I got all done, the Home Depot Search worked fine. So I went back to using 26.5 and my first stop was to re-eanable SDC. And then, on a hunch, I went back to Home Depot not expecting anything. But suddenly the search was working. My gut says it is likely on my system somehow there is some connection between the two P M versions. It may have happened because, in setting up Portable 27 I often had both it and 26.5 open side by side. Bear in mind that I basically copied all my 26.5 settings to 27 manually. So all the extensions and settings in 26.5 were pretty similar to the ones in the first Portable 27 I downloaded and worked with. However, all the settings in 26.5 are the same as I have had for some time in P M. So when i say HomeDepot search would not work, it was not working on either version. Then it worked with both. And as I said 26.5 was in the same configuration as when H D search would not work.

Rather than doing this on multiple threads i hope to do it all here https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=15377