Bleedover from Portable on USB to PC HD on 27.2.1

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Bleedover from Portable on USB to PC HD on 27.2.1

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2017-04-04, 17:35

I have been reluctant to upgrade to ver 27. A P m user much more sophisticated than I am offered to help me. The result was that I was advised to try out 27 in the portable version. Since I am still using 26.5 on my PC, I elected to install the portable on a USB 3.0 stick and restrict all 27 related things to going there. At the same time I am trying to make the switch from P M 32 bit to 64 as I use Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. The most important consideration in opting for the portable version to start was I wanted to be sure nothing I would do with 27 would in any way affect the functionality of 26.5. I wanted a way to become familiar with 27 without losing 26 before I did.

I have followed a basic process with 27. Once downloaded, my first task was to make it look like 26.5 now does. This was just a question of getting all the settings and layout issues done. It only took about 2 or 3 hours. The next step was to get the add-ons part of things done. I wanted the privacy and ad blocking stuff in place. This meant having to deal with a couple of older sdk/jetpack extensions. I even managed to import all my bookmarks from 26 to 27 :) .

The first puzzle I already posted about. Some add-on appeared on the Portable version on their own. The explanation i was given in the other thread about this did not hold water. the thread is here if you are interested https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=15346 My last post there shows why what I was told did not make sense to me. I still think what I saw was evidence of a bleed between P M 26.5 on the HD and 27 portable on the USB.

But this was not the end of things. Once I got the plug-ins in place, I moved to the extensions. I only use 8 of these including P M Commander. I had a bit of difficulty using the the Tester Tube to get a couple of things into ver. 27 on the USB. The last one was Self-Destructing Cookies. But I did manage to do so. One of the issues with using SDC on 27 is that neither the icon nor deletion popup appear. ISDC is supposedly still working, it just is not evident. I can live with that.

Here is the issue. Today I went online using 26.5 and I noticed the SDC icon was missing where I had always seen it. So the light went off and i ooened Portable and disabled Test SDC. I then reopened a 26.5 window and the SDC icon had returned. To me this indicates some sort of connection between 26.5 and 27 portable is happening where I though it could not. if this helps any, while working to get Portable set up I have had both 26.5 and Portable opened in different windows at the same time (I do not do tabbed browsing, I prefer using multiple discreet windows.)

One last observation, some of the extensions have the same versions in both P Ms I am using and some have different versions. Two of them are Test versions via the Tester Tool on portable and normal version in 26.5 as well. If it will help to provide troubleshooting information for either or both set-ups, I can do so.

I am confused as to why the apparent bleed over is happening. Is it simply that it will happen if I have both versions open in different windows at the same time or is there something else going on? My goal is to insure that for me ver 27 will work as well or better than earlier versions have before I make a permanent move to upgrade. If I need to change some settings such as disabling and SDC in 27 so it things work OK in 26 and then when I am working in 27, re-enable them, I can do so for the short term.
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

JustOff

Re: Bleedover from Portable on USB to PC HD on 27.2.1

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-04-05, 11:00

TwoTankAmin wrote:The first puzzle I already posted about. Some add-on appeared on the Portable version on their own. The explanation i was given in the other thread about this did not hold water. the thread is here if you are interested https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=15346 My last post there shows why what I was told did not make sense to me. I still think what I saw was evidence of a bleed between P M 26.5 on the HD and 27 portable on the USB.
Please do not mix up plugins and add-ons.
But this was not the end of things. Once I got the plug-ins in place, I moved to the extensions. I only use 8 of these including P M Commander. I had a bit of difficulty using the the Tester Tube to get a couple of things into ver. 27 on the USB. The last one was Self-Destructing Cookies. But I did manage to do so. One of the issues with using SDC on 27 is that neither the icon nor deletion popup appear. ISDC is supposedly still working, it just is not evident. I can live with that.
What exactly version of SDC are you tried? I see no such issues with SDC in Pale Moon 27.2.1 (although for daily work I've replaced it with Cookies Exterminator).
Here is the issue. Today I went online using 26.5 and I noticed the SDC icon was missing where I had always seen it. So the light went off and i ooened Portable and disabled Test SDC. I then reopened a 26.5 window and the SDC icon had returned. To me this indicates some sort of connection between 26.5 and 27 portable is happening where I though it could not. if this helps any, while working to get Portable set up I have had both 26.5 and Portable opened in different windows at the same time (I do not do tabbed browsing, I prefer using multiple discreet windows.)
It is very weird, my workplace has more than 10 different portables of Pale Moon and Firefox used for research and development and I never seen any such interactions between them running in multiple combinations simultaneously.

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2017-04-05, 15:07

I apologize in advance for being long winded. But I figure more info is more helpful than too little

Firstly, I know the difference between Plug-ins and Extensions. The reason I mentioned the plug-ins was because there seemed to be some bleed on these as well. In fact, I noticed it with the plug-ins first. I have followed a step by step process in doing this project. Once I had gotten Portable 27 looking as I wanted, I moved on to getting add-ons. Because I use so few plug-ins, I went to them first expecting to see nothing listed. Extensions were meant to be dealt with second because there were more of them and some were more complicated due to the sdk/jetpck issues.

As for the versions of SDC, on 32 bit 26.5 I have 0.4.9 and on 64 bit Portable 27.2.1 I have Test 0.4.12.

In setting up the Portable version of P M I went one step further. Instead of allowing needed downloads to go into the Downloads file on my HD, I made a special one on the USB drive. To insure there would be no conflicts with the Downloads file created by Portable, I created another discrete file not in Portable folder) which I named Download (no s) on the USB drive and all files needed for installing extensions in Portable got downloaded there. All extensions were installed

With SDC I had to try two versions which I ran through the Moon Tester Tool. I tried the first time by downloading self_destructing_cookies-0.4.9-fx+an.xpi. However, for some reason this would not process through the tester tool. The person who was helping me with all this suggested he had managed to download a different version. So I next downloaded ver. 0.4.12 and this did run through the Moon Tester and installed. I was aware that when one puts SDC through this process that one of the downsides was that neither the icon would display nor would the pop-up notification of cookies being deleted and the cache being cleared even though the extension was working. I was prepared for this.

The next step in the plan was to work our way through all the configuration settings to get the portable version into its final operating configuration. This has been a slow process due to time zone and scheduling issues between me and the person helping me. So, I have been working with only 26.5 online. That was when I noticed that the SDC icon and pop-up menu were no longer in 26.5. I tried the most logical solution and opened Portable and disabled Test SDC. I then rebooted my P M 26.5 and back came the icon etc.

I do not understand why this is happening. Everything I have read on this forum or been told about what I am doing was that the two versions of P M would be totally separate and could not interfere with each other. Obviously, this is not the case.

Since you are the developer of Cookies Exterminator, perhaps you can answer a few Qs? Please bear in mind I am a very unsophisticated user. I do not browse the way most people do. I do not use tabs for one. I prefer multiple windows. Next. I store no cookies ever nor do I permit 3rd party cookies to load. Finally, I pretty much have empty white lists as well and I use Better Privacy and have for years. When I read your material on how your extension works I see a need for a white list entry. I also see references to tabs but nothing about windows. I almost never go to another site using an already open and with a page loaded, instead I close the window and open a brand new one for the next site. I do this so sites do not know from where I came nor where I go next.

So what I wonder is will using no white, gray or red lists and not doing tabbed browsing make any difference in your extension's ability to function as I would want? Also, your info states you erase local Storage objects (btw there is a space missing between local and storage on your Mozilla page). I am not really sure what the term local storage objects means. Would the cache for a given window be considered a local storage object? Incidentally, SDC offers a choice to delete stuff when one closes a tab or when one leaves the page. This can be done on a site by site basis. I try to remember to set things to the page option since I don't use tabs. I just want to know if your extension will do the same sort of things SDC does? I prefer not to allow sites to store anything on my box.

One last note. I also use Ghostery. I have used it for years. I have it set to block everything. I have it as a TEST version in Portable. Does this conflict in any way with C E?
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-04-05, 17:04

TwoTankAmin wrote:So I next downloaded ver. 0.4.12 and this did run through the Moon Tester and installed. I was aware that when one puts SDC through this process that one of the downsides was that neither the icon would display nor would the pop-up notification of cookies being deleted and the cache being cleared even though the extension was working. I was prepared for this.
Let's first exclude the possible conflicts with non default settings and other add-ons. Please create one more clean separate copy of Pale Moon 27 portable, install the only Moon Tester Tool and SDC 0.4.12 there and check if you see both the icon and pop-up notifications.
I noticed that the SDC icon and pop-up menu were no longer in 26.5. I tried the most logical solution and opened Portable and disabled Test SDC. I then rebooted my P M 26.5 and back came the icon etc.

I do not understand why this is happening. Everything I have read on this forum or been told about what I am doing was that the two versions of P M would be totally separate and could not interfere with each other. Obviously, this is not the case.
Unfortunately I can still neither reproduce nor explain this.
Since you are the developer of Cookies Exterminator, perhaps you can answer a few Qs?
Cookies Exterminator acts almost exactly like SDC, with the exception of the following:
  • SDC keeps cookies and localStorage (such spelling is intentional) objects for the last 10 pages per tab, while CE does not
  • SDC can clear browser cache on schedule (this option is disabled by default), while CE does not provide such function
I also see references to tabs but nothing about windows.
Every window in Pale Moon always has at least one tab, so when you close window you close all tabs within it and trigger the same actions as when single tab close.
So what I wonder is will using no white, gray or red lists and not doing tabbed browsing make any difference in your extension's ability to function as I would want?
CE can work without exceptions lists, but you have to add something into white list to enable active mode. To be sure you not whitelist any existing site just add "activate" or some other word that not match any top level domain (the reason was explained here).
I also use Ghostery. I have used it for years. I have it set to block everything. I have it as a TEST version in Portable. Does this conflict in any way with C E?
It should not.

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2017-04-06, 05:02

@JustOff
Tyvm for your replies.

I am still having issues on sites using 27 Portable. I have tried restarting with Add-ons disabled. I changed the P M settings for cookies to allow them including 3rd party ones. I set all the plug-ins to always run and allowed pop-ups. I tried using all 3 modes. Nothing helped. So I am still in testing mode for 27.

In regards to SDC, C E and the settings in P M, I have a question. It appears to me that if I had no extension at all but instead I were to rely on the P M settings under Privacy in Options, that I could accomplish the my goal. Firstly, I set it to Accept cookies from sites, choose never to accept 3rd party cookies and to keep them until I close pale Moon. I then check the box to Clear history when Pale Moon closes and then choose the following under its Settings: Clear-> active logins, cookies, cache, site preferences and Offline Website Data. Because I browse using multiple windows instead of tabs, wouldn't those settings delete any cookies and clear the cache related to a given window when I closed that window? Obvouly, this could not work if I did tabbed browsing.

I am not married to SDC, especially in light of it not being happy on P M 27. However, I wonder why I need any cookie or cache deleting/clearing extension at all. I am happy to use C E if I am incorrect in what I have stated above. I do not permit any cookies to be stored on my box nor any offline content. I am a essentially a minimalist and want as few add-ons as possible on my box. I have 8 extensions now and that could be 7 if the above cookie/cache assumption about P M is correct. It could be another one fewer if I ditch P M Commander which is really so far above my ability to use as to likely do more harm than good in my hands.

If I should use C E and I must add something to a white list, I could use the DuckDuckGo site. I use that search sometimes, but I never visit the site.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-04-06, 09:04

TwoTankAmin wrote:Because I browse using multiple windows instead of tabs, wouldn't those settings delete any cookies and clear the cache related to a given window when I closed that window?
No, it wouldn't. You can check it by yourself using "Show cookies" from Options/Privacy. Even in private mode no cookies will be deleted until all private windows closed. And the cache will be deleted only when browser closed completely.

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2017-04-06, 17:21

TY again

From what I can see what you said is accurate. However, that also tells me that the settings in P M as they are described is not accurate. Closing a given window does not clear its cookie nor its cache. I have no idea why it is stated that this is what will happen when it is seems obvious this is not what happens. :( SDC does this properly but isn't so happy in 27 :(

If I can get to the point where 27 is a viable upgrade and is not just exchanging one problem for a different one for me, I will certainly try C E.

My gut tells me that I need to remove P M Commander and SDC from 27 for sure to have any chance. There must be something else somewhere in my P M settings that is causing parts of some sites not to work at all. I have been trying to find out what this is with no success. I am disabling and turning off anything I can find that might prevent sites from working properly but it doesn't seem to matter. What makes it worse is people who go to the same site using 27 seem to have no issues. I guess I need to make a new thread which describes it all and see if somebody can figure out what is going on.

What I fear is that the problems are being caused because I have two versions of PM on my box and there is some bleed between them happening. One way to confirm this would be to remove 26.5 completely and see if that fixes things. The problem is I am not willing to lose a mostly working 26.5 only to find this is not the cause. I was advised to delete 26.5 and then do a clean install of 27 (but to keep the portable 27 as my backup). However, I am afraid to try this and end up without having a viable version of P M I can use.

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2017-04-07, 20:54

@JustOff
Let's first exclude the possible conflicts with non default settings and other add-ons. Please create one more clean separate copy of Pale Moon 27 portable, install the only Moon Tester Tool and SDC 0.4.12 there and check if you see both the icon and pop-up notifications.
Sorry it took this long, but I just did what you suggested above. At trhe end of what I did, something very unexpected happened. Here is exactly what I did:

1. I downloaded a clean copy of Portable to my USB. I set up a new folder for it as the other copy of potable is also on this stick. Then I closed P M 26.5 and launched Portable.
2. I made two changes- I added the menu bar and changed the home page to about:blank.
3. On a hunch, I visited the Home Depot site and was able to search fine.
4. I then installed the Moon Tester Tool.
5. Before I went any further I closed Portable, opened 26.5 and disabled SDC there. Then closed 26.5
6. Back to portable where I downloaded the SDC 0.4.12 xpi to the Portable download folder using right click and save ink as.
7. I installed SDC on Portable via the MTT. It went fine and worked fine. I then set the SDC preferences to what I have always had them.
8. I returned to Home Depot and confirmed search still worked.
9. Then, using the customize feature for the toolbars, I customized the new portable Status Bar to remove the defaults and the SDC icon to the Customize box. I then put back the SDC icon on the left end where I prefer to have it.

So far so good. :thumbup:
Since I did not want to surf a lot on the new portable yet, I never saw it clear a cache. But I know cookies were deleted

My next steps are where things got odd.

I figured since I would still mostly be using 26.5 even to make this post, I opened a 26.5 window and went to Extensions to renable SDC. I decided to visit Hone Depot one last time not expecting anything. Imagine my surprise when I did the same search and it worked. I changed absolutely nothing in 26.5 at all besides disabling and re-enabling SDC. I made sure not to allow both version to run simultaneously.

Obviously something else is causing me problems. I am about as untrained/uneducated about all of this stuff as one can be, but I have two thoughts here. The first seems the most logical to me. For some reason, there is a bleed happening between the two versions of P M. This could happen when both are in use at the same time and/or because something someplace else on my system relating to P M is permitting it. I think if this is the case the solution would (UGH) delete every trace of 26.5 (if possible saving my extensive bookmarks) and the downloading a clean copy of 27.2.1 to my HD. The downside is it will be more work to set up 27 and if I have issues with 27, my 26.5 fallback is gone.

The other thought would be equally tedious. I could begin to make changes to the clean copy of Portable and after each one see that home Depot still searches. I would have to be sure not to open 26.5 at when the portable is open.

If you have any better ideas please offer them. I will wait a while for you to see this. Again, many thanks for the assistance.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-04-08, 05:50

TwoTankAmin wrote:If you have any better ideas please offer them. I will wait a while for you to see this.
My advice is:
  • From your 26.5 Pale Moon open 'Help->Troubleshooting Information->Show Folder' then zip and save a copy of working profile
  • Grab a fresh copy of 26.5 portable, extract the saved profile into 'User\Palemoon\Profiles\Default\' and make sure that all works well
  • Completely uninstall Pale Moon 26.5
  • Set 'MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1' in the Palemoon-Portable.ini of all 26.x and 27.x portables you are going to deal with
  • Have enough patience, the road is long ;)
PS: You don't have to put the portables on USB, just use different folders on HDD, it will be faster and safer

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2017-04-08, 07:24

I actually came up with a slightly different plan that does not involve the redoing of 26.5. I am proceeding with the second copy of Portable i made to do what you asked. As I move along with trying to get it into good working order I will test after installs and changing my P M settings and preference which might effect how pages load. When I get to the point of installing extensions, I will manually disable all the extension in 26.5. The I will go one by adding installing them in Portable.

If I can get everything installed so that portable will run fine on the sites I normally visit and especially if it will work on sites that wont on 26.5. I am going to delete 26.5 from my hard drive and I have a utility prog. for this that will search for leftovers everywhere including the registry and remove them. The last step will be to do a clean install of 27.2.1 on my HD. I will keep the portable version as a back-up.

I am not sure about
Set 'MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1' in the Palemoon-Portable.ini of all 26.x and 27.x portables you are going to deal with.
I poked around in the only version of portable, which is 27.2.1, and it appears to be there already. I see something that says this opened in notepad
[Environment]
;(multiple istances)
MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1
I think it is already in 27 by default?

Bear in mind that I have 32 bit 26.5 and am upgrading to 64 bit 27.2.1.

Once again thanks for all your help. All I want is a smoothly working browser. Once this part is done, I am going to try using a VPN. That should be interesting..........

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2017-04-08, 20:04

Fast update. I was up til past 4 am last night working on this. I now have all my bookmarks in place, all plug-ins in place and have SDC and Moon tester in place. So far so good. I just tested Portable on Morgan Stanley and it loads fine and the previously non-working Log Off link works fine. Home Depot also works fine. Hopefully tonight I will begin to customize my settings. The only thing I am unsure of is if I should bother to install P M Commander since I am unable to understand about 95% of what it does.The only thing I might actually use it for is to switch between Native, Gecko and FF modes and I am now not sure when or why I would need/want to do this.

For me making the move up to version 27 would not have been possible without the help I have received from a couple of very patient P M users. For the most part help on this forum has been hard for me as most of it was above my level of understanding and written in terms that were often meaningless to me. It is my antipathy for IE, FF and Chrome which kept me hanging in there. Of course I could be premature here as I still have preferences to set and extensions to install and good old Murphy is never far away when it comes to this sort of thing.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-04-08, 20:41

TwoTankAmin wrote:The only thing I am unsure of is if I should bother to install P M Commander since I am unable to understand about 95% of what it does.
I'm pretty sure you shouldn't. The same is always true for all the add-ons you can do without.
The only thing I might actually use it for is to switch between Native, Gecko and FF modes and I am now not sure when or why I would need/want to do this.
This can be controlled via Options->Advanced->General->User Agent Mode.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2017-04-08, 21:05

JustOff wrote:
TwoTankAmin wrote:The only thing I might actually use it for is to switch between Native, Gecko and FF modes and I am now not sure when or why I would need/want to do this.
This can be controlled via Options->Advanced->General->User Agent Mode.
Yep, you don't need PM Commander to switch between those modes.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-04-08, 22:54

JustOff wrote:
TwoTankAmin wrote:Because I browse using multiple windows instead of tabs, wouldn't those settings delete any cookies and clear the cache related to a given window when I closed that window?
No, it wouldn't. You can check it by yourself using "Show cookies" from Options/Privacy. Even in private mode no cookies will be deleted until all private windows closed. And the cache will be deleted only when browser closed completely.
As I see it your conclusion below that what PM describes is "not accurate" is actually not accurate ;) :
TwoTankAmin wrote:... that also tells me that the settings in P M as they are described is not accurate. Closing a given window does not clear its cookie nor its cache. I have no idea why it is stated that this is what will happen when it is seems obvious this is not what happens. :(
In regards to your remark "Closing a given window does not clear its cookie nor its cache." of which you're suggesting Pale Moon says this is what the browser does; I'm at a loss where Pale Moon says this. :? On the other hand I do see where Pale Moon says that these functions are done when the Pale Moon browser is closed in both PM windows for these settings (see below). So it appears to me Pale Moon is clear on this and that none of these functions are done when a browser tab (window) is closed (tab is synonymous with window since one page in a browser still has to have one tab). Perhaps I'm missing something and not understanding what you're saying, if so please clarify, thanks.

The Privacy settings native to PM that you're describing above are as follows:
Privacy settings native to Pale Moon browser<br />Notice the reference to &quot;when Pale Moon closes&quot;
Privacy settings native to Pale Moon browser
Notice the reference to "when Pale Moon closes"
Notice the reference to &quot;When I quite Pale Moon&quot;.
Notice the reference to "When I quite Pale Moon".
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2017-04-09, 20:08

Semantics and interpretation differences.

You start up your device and I say to you open Pale Moon, what would you take that to mean? Then say I tell you to close Pale Moon, again what would that mean. Now, if you had a Pale Moon window open as a result of the first request and I wanted you to open another instance of Pale Moon how might that be phrased? Perhaps one might say open another or a new window. And how far a leap is it to see how in some cases the two terms might get used interchangeably? For the sake of clarity those two things you pointed out and which I have read at least a few 100 times before could be stated a tad more clearly.

"Clear history when Pale Moon closes" might instead say "Clear history when all Pale Moon windows are closed" The first one is open to some interpretation whereas the second is much clearer and less apt to be misunderstood.

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2017-04-10, 04:09

I got it done. Portable 27.2.1 is completely installed and almost perfect.

I had a few problems getting Ghostery in place but got them worked out. At the moment I am staying with SDC which also took some effort.

All my old problem sites in 26.5 are working fine in 27 :clap: But I am not quite done. I will be getting some assistance to fine tune some of the settings and a few things via Commander. But here I am just acting as a dumb interface and doing exactly what I am told without necessarily understanding what I it is I am actually doing. The nice thing is when I read threads in the forum relating to people's problems in 27, they are problems with sites, extensions, themes, or mobile devices none of which I use. So I am hoping solving the problems I was having in 26 means I am good to go in 27.

I think the problems I was having, to some extent, are based in ver 26.5. As of this post I am not using 26.5 but will not delete it quite yet. I want to have a few days using 27 to be sure all is OK. If I blow it up somehow I can still use 26. Once I am feeling confident 27 is stable, I want to remove 26 and then do a clean install of 27. Before I do I have a few simple questions. I assume I can get my bookmarks from portable easily. But I have never done anything regarding profile so I am unfamiliar with it. I would love to be able to short cut the process of setting my preferences etc. and move the extensions with their settings if it that is possible.

Since I transferred everything from Firefox directly into P M when I first got it, I have upgraded only, never reinstalled P M. And messing around in Portable I learned fast to keep 26 tamped down. I do not to import anything from that version. I would bet dollars to donuts the one thing that would do is bring along for sure is every problem I have in it.

For those of who in the states who may have watched 60 minutes tonight, I am feeling pretty good about not having a smart phone nor using social media.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/brain-hacking-tech-insiders-60-minutes/

Again thanks for those whose help helped get me to 27, especially to JustOff.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-04-10, 05:55

TwoTankAmin wrote: "Clear history when Pale Moon closes" might instead say "Clear history when all Pale Moon windows are closed" The first one is open to some interpretation whereas the second is much clearer and less apt to be misunderstood.
I can understand how we can often interpret things differently, but in my view the one thing that remains undebatable is that if "Pale Moon closes" then all Pale Moon browser tabs will have to be undoubtedly closed and regardless if tabs might be interpreted as "windows" or not they will still be closed when the browser is closed and to the point of the discussion, whatever is set to be cleared in the PM security settings would be expected to be cleared at that time as described. :think:

But we can of course agree that we can all interpret things differently and I of course am happy to defer to your perspective and therefore not belabor the point any further. ;)
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising