Can I use a portable Profile on an installed version?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Can I use a portable Profile on an installed version?

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2017-01-23, 01:11

I have Windows 7 (64 bit). I am running PM 26.5.0 (32 bit version) on my desktop computer.

When PM 27 beta was introduced I installed it on a USB stick, so not as to possibly corrupt the installed version of 26.5.0 on my desktop. I copied the Profile from my installed version to the portable version,replacing what was there, and that worked fine.

I now am up to 27.0.3 portable. It seem stable enough that I plan to put the installed version of it on my desktop. My question is: can I safely just do the reverse, and copy the Profile that is now on the portable version to the newly installed version on the desktop? I am asking, because of JetPack and other add-on incompatibility between 26 & 27, the Profile on my portable version is more up to date than the one on my desktop 26.5.0.

Thanks,

Harry

PhoxFyre

Re: Can I use a portable Profile on an installed version?

Unread post by PhoxFyre » 2017-01-23, 01:13

Yes, but Jetpack SDK addons will no longer work

1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Can I use a portable Profile on an installed version?

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2017-01-23, 05:09

PhoxFyre wrote:Yes, but Jetpack SDK addons will no longer work
JetPack addons are already deleted from the portable 27.0.3 Profile, as well as other addons that do not work in Ver. 27.

So the profile that I would transfer to my desktop only contains addons that work in the portable Ver. 27.0.3.

Harry