How to put profiles that are on Windows (x64 for me) on portable (x86)

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
PhoxFyre

How to put profiles that are on Windows (x64 for me) on portable (x86)

Unread post by PhoxFyre » 2017-01-17, 23:23

Can you just put the profiles onto the users folder, or are they not compatible?

HaleSun
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: How to put profiles that are on Windows (x64 for me) on portable (x86)

Unread post by HaleSun » 2017-01-20, 00:41

Profiles are not architecture dependent, so you can swap between x86 and x64. Swapping between versions like v26 to v27 is also possible, but definitely not recommended since it usually ends with things getting fubar.

Yes, just copy over the profiles in the Users folder. Simply rename or make a backup copy of the old Users folder in case something goes wrong or you want to revert back to the old profile.

PhoxFyre

Unread post by PhoxFyre » 2017-01-20, 00:44

Thank You!
One question, does the profile contain all of the customized stuff? (i.e addons, themes, browser layout, etc.)

HaleSun
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by HaleSun » 2017-01-20, 06:53

PhoxFyre wrote:Thank You!
One question, does the profile contain all of the customized stuff? (i.e addons, themes, browser layout, etc.)
Yes. A profile contains everything including browser settings. Only the core browser executables are kept separate so nothing the user does affects them directly. This allows for easy in-place updates. For example, if you're using the portable version, going from Pale Moon 27 to 27.0.3 only requires copying your profile over. No need to redo everything.

Usually only major updates require redoing your profile from scratch e.g. updating from Pale Moon 26.x to 27.x.