Force download of MP3 (has behaviour changed in PM27)

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
parpfish II

Force download of MP3 (has behaviour changed in PM27)

Unread post by parpfish II » 2016-12-18, 16:21

Hi all,

I'm sure my previous versions of PM portable (26 and lower) used to automatically download the mp3 file linked to in the url below. The HTML contains
target="_blank" BUT I'm certain I used to LEFT click on the link and it would just download the mp3 without asking or trying to open in a new tab. Currently Pale Moon opens a new tab which is 100% dark grey with a shadowed dark grey box and doesn't do anything. (ps. I know I can right click > save link as ...)

Here's an example:
https://www.peakprosperity.com/podcast/ ... farming-20

Under the video there's:

Singing Frogs Farm
iTunes | Download | Report Problem

When I click on download it open this link in a new tab:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/cm-us-standard ... kaiser.mp3

Is there any way to get that old behaviour back - where it just downloads the file?

My settings in Options > Applications for MP3 is "save to file".

Using PM 27.0.3 x64 Portable on Windows 7 Ultimate x64. (Also have been updating Pale Moon so each update should have kept any settings I had presumably).

Any help much appreciated.

P.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Force download of MP3 (has behaviour changed in PM27)

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-12-18, 16:35

It opens it in a new tab to play the standalone MP3 in the browser (using the internal player). So, download is no longer default because it is able to play it, itself. (26 also supported this, by the way).
You also need to understand that "applications" depends on what MIME type the server returns for the MP3.

A quick solution is holding Alt when clicking, that is a forced save-as action.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

GMforker

Unread post by GMforker » 2016-12-18, 17:05

Moonchild wrote:A quick solution is holding Alt when clicking, that is a forced save-as action.
...or: about:config - media.play-stand-alone => false

parpfish II

Unread post by parpfish II » 2016-12-18, 18:35

Okay, thanks for the info.

Big thanks GMforker for the about:config tip.
That's what I needed. :D

P.