Error "Pale Moon is already running" Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!

Error "Pale Moon is already running"

Unread post by offline » 2016-12-10, 09:49

Hi!

I´m using pale Moon Portable Version: 27.0.2 (x64)
When clicking a link in the email, I receive the following error:

Pale Moon is already running, but is not responding. The old Pale Moon process must be closed to open a new window.

What can I do in the portable program to avoid the error?

Thank you!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Error "Pale Moon is already running"

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-12-10, 11:18

Don't try to start multiple copies of the same portable installation.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Unread post by offline » 2016-12-10, 11:26

[Environment]
;(multiple istances)
;MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2016-12-10, 12:40

offline wrote:[Environment]
;(multiple istances)
;MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1

This is located in "Palemoon-Portable.ini" and should be:

[Environment]
;(multiple istances)
MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1

It allows for more than 1 instance to run. However this is not going to fix the problem you have. Some times it takes a while for PM to completely shut down depending on how many tabs were open. Use Task manager or Process Explorer to see if it is still running and/or to shut it down.

Bill
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-12-11, 09:58

For clarity:

Using MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1 (default)
  • Allows you to run multiple copies of the portable browser from different folders concurrently.
  • Does not allow you to launch a second copy of the same browser that's already running.
Not using MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1 (commenting it out)
  • Does not allow you to run multiple copies of the portable browser from different folders concurrently.
    If you try to do this, it will simply hook into the already-running process.
  • Allows you to launch the same browser that's already running, as it will open a new window in the running process.
Since the OP wasn't clear, I can only assume they are trying to use a portable Pale Moon through file associations (not intended use) and if it's already running in its default setup, it will throw this error as a result.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Unread post by offline » 2016-12-11, 10:44

Hello,

I did it like that:
[Environment]
;(multiple istances)
;MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1

And now there is no error. All tabs open in one window.

kutykurutty

Unread post by kutykurutty » 2016-12-11, 20:52

offline wrote:Hello,

I did it like that:
[Environment]
;(multiple istances)
;MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1

And now there is no error. All tabs open in one window.
Thanks for this hint, I had the same issue, links from Thunderbird did not want to open in tabs, regardless the about:config setting browser.link.open_newwindow.override.external;3.
After modifying the .ini as you suggested, it works. :)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-12-11, 22:52

And as is clear stated in red/bold on the portable page: Portables are not meant to have file associations or similar integration, because they are set up to take with you on removable media.
The default settings reflect this, and even if you change this setting it will still have some snags.

alpha1

Unread post by alpha1 » 2017-05-15, 10:02

hello everyone.

i realize this is a somewhat old thread, but it appears related to my question, so i thought i'd ask here. let me know if i should start a new thread instead.

my particular issue is that i can't open more than one window of the browser (by clicking its icon), and i get the same error message mentioned above. i used to be able to do this in older versions; i'm not sure at what version it stopped working.

pale moon portable 27.3 x64
windows 7 sp1 x64

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-05-15, 13:39

Try adding the custom button "Open a new window", the icon looks like a computer monitor. Right-click any empty area of the toolbar (top of browser) and click on "Customize..." from the Customize window, drag the icon to where you want it in the toolbar or status bar of the current browser. Click on that icon once added and see if this is what you want.

There is no way to open a new Browser by clicking on the desktop icon that I know of but this other way above should do what I think you want if I'm not mistaken (similar to another instance of Pale Moon).

Oh wait, this is in the "Pale Moon Portable" board, not sure about Pale Moon Portable. I know you can't run two Pale Moon Portables at the same time as I understand it. I'm running a standard Pale Moon browser (if this is what your doing as well the above suggestion should get what you want presumably).
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

alpha1

Unread post by alpha1 » 2017-05-15, 14:14

wow! it worked (even with portable version). thanks, pale moon rising. :thumbup:

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-06-04, 06:52

You're welcome, glad to see it worked :clap: --- thanks for reporting back, so now we know it works for Portable as well. :thumbup:
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising