-new-window ignored all of a sudden

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
ThirdTryCharm

-new-window ignored all of a sudden

Unread post by ThirdTryCharm » 2016-09-22, 20:59

Win8.1 all up to date. Not sure how long this has been like this, but I have always launched Palemoon Portable (PMP) via a launcher program that passes -new-window as a Parameter. All used to work well and I could have several active copies running.

I just needed a second copy so went to the launcher program and clicked "Palemoon" and got a message saying a "copy is running..." Well, yeah, I know, that's why I am back in the launcher! :)

So, I right-clicked the icon in the taskbar for the currently running PMP and selected "Pale Moon Web Browser" and it launched a new copy with a complete new profile. It had all the original start-up screen clutter etc.

Something just ain't right.

Am I not doing it the right way to get the second copy to open in a new Window?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: -new-window ignored all of a sudden

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-09-23, 13:50

Please see the release notes. "no-remote" is now default (since the latest release), which may interfere with your launcher. Comment it out in the .ini file and you will have the previous behavior.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

ThirdTryCharm

Unread post by ThirdTryCharm » 2016-09-23, 16:20

Thanks, but this implies the opposite, or is confusing at best. With "MOZ_NO_REMOTE = 1" it is checking. I have remmed it out as suggested and is working again as you said. Why was this changed? Is it a security risk or something?

"Portable-only: Changed the behavior to, by default, allow it to start a new copy or multiple copies without checking if Pale Moon is already running on the system. You will need separate profiles to run multiple browsers concurrently."

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-09-23, 22:00

It doesn't imply the opposite.
"no-remote" means it won't check for a "remote" (already running) process. Launching the browser this way will always try to launch a new application process instead of opening a new window in the existing process. -new-window will therefore not work.

It's not a security issue, but most people expect the current behavior from a portable when run alongside installed versions.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite