Copying Tabs from tab menu to new portable

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
fusion01

Copying Tabs from tab menu to new portable

Unread post by fusion01 » 2016-06-04, 16:40

I was mostly looking for what file this is stored in so I don't have to copy the entire Profile folder as it is HUGE on my mostly used portable version.

Is there a thread listing the individual files and what content they contain so a user can transfer only needed contents without extra junk from old versions?

Thanks.

dark_moon

Re: Copying Tabs from tab menu to new portable

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-06-04, 18:09

For tabs you only need copy the sessionstore files.

fusion01

Unread post by fusion01 » 2016-06-04, 18:26

Thanks dark_moon.

What will copy the icons from the bookmarked tabs saved though. Is that also stored in the sessionstor files?

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-06-04, 18:42

The icons can't be restored with that files.
Since you create a topic for that, i think you can mark this thread as solved?

fusion01

Unread post by fusion01 » 2016-06-04, 19:29

I'm a little confused though. I think you may have misunderstood me as you may have thought I was talking about opened tabs in the browser. I was talking about bookmarked tabs on the bookmark menu. How can I transfer these saved tabs from an older Palemoon portable version to another? What file are these stored tabs in?

Why would I mark this thread as solved as I still have no solution to it?

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-06-04, 20:24

I don't know what exactly use want.
Your thread is about tabs. I write which files save the tabs.
If you need the bookmarks then copy the places files.

But i don't know how the portable handle tabs & bookmarks.

fusion01

Unread post by fusion01 » 2016-06-04, 22:37

Maybe I misspoke then as I was referring to the Bookmark Toolbar tabs. I know I can copy the places file but that has more data from other things I do not want to transfer over. I also noticed I can't export the bookmarks from one portable version to another for some reason. When I import the saved bookmarks, it doesn't seem like anything changes. If I try to restore bookmarks it says not allowed for some reason.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-06-04, 22:39

Why don't you use the install version then?

fusion01

Unread post by fusion01 » 2016-06-04, 22:41

using the install version is no answer for the question I have. I should be able to do this on the portable version. You yourself said you have know experience with the portable version but yet you decide to try to answer questions in a forum which you shouldn't be advising other on with your lack of experience or knowledge of.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2016-06-04, 23:19

In most respects portable Pale Moon behaves no differently from the installed version concerning bookmarks (or most other things). And yes, using the installed version DOES equip someone to offer help with the portable version.

With that said...
I use the portable version but have never tried to do what you describe (import bookmarks from one portable to another).
The import (from another browser) function, to my knowledge, looks for bookmarks in known installed locations and, not finding them, expectably imports nothing.
Edit: I misunderstood what was being said earlier (and just refreshed myself on the Bookmarks Manager). Importing data directly from another browser applies only to IE. But importing a bookmarks file from one copy of Pale Moon to another is not limited so far as I know.

You can use a bookmark backup json from a bookmarkbackups folder. Or if you prefer, open the Bookmarks library (Organize Bookmarks, Ctrl+Shift+B) and make a backup json. Or export an HTML file from browser1 to import to browser2.

Edit: Revisited this. Corrections follow....
Now haven't checked this in a while, so I hope I have this right but...
To my recollection, The json will not does include the bookmarks toolbar items but does not include favicons. It overwrites any previous bookmark files. While an HTML backup carries over the favicons, but puts the bookmark toolbar stuff in a separate folder rather than on the toolbar. It does not overwrite previous files, but rather appends itself to what's already there.

And you can also copy / paste bookmarks from one browser to another. Generally this doesn't carry favicons over.

Places.sqlite would replace any previous Places file in the profile, so it will put bookmarks on the bar, include favicons, and replace any previous bookmarks.
fusion01 wrote:Is there a thread listing the individual files and what content they contain...
Try this article: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox
Last edited by coffeebreak on 2016-06-05, 06:26, edited 1 time in total.

fusion01

Unread post by fusion01 » 2016-06-05, 02:52

Thank you coffee break that was a thorough and informative response.

I was able to get the bookmark menu items with the favicons in place doing the backup/restore. It wouldn't allow bookmarks being updated via the import/export function or the backup/restore function while on the ramdisk, even when the bookmark.html or the backup Json file already located on the ramdisk with the PM copy I had running.

I had to make a copy of the portable version from my Ramdisk and then do the update from my C:drive/. Then copy that updated portable version back to the Ramdisk E: drive.

Actually, I had further problems I forgot to mention. Even when I transferred my Ramdisk copy to the C:drive to make modifications, everything within the "organize bookmarks" window was EMPTY. I had to follow the method to refreshing the places.sqlite folder by renaming it; making sure PM was closed; and then restarting it to generate a new places.sqlite file. After that the backup/restor with the JSON file worked. Then I had to transfer that copy back to the RAMDISK.

I will have to try for the heck of it to see if the import/export bookmarks will do the same thing I did this time but actually work.

What is odd is this was a new version of Pale Moon I just downloaded today and for the places.sqlite file to get BORKED this quick is unimaginable. The onlyt variable here is this was my first time trying a browser on a Ramdisk (using PM portable x64).

fusion01

Unread post by fusion01 » 2016-06-08, 13:06

any idea why the backup / restore or import / export doesn't work if you have PM portable on a Ramdisk?

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-06-09, 16:47

fusion01 wrote:any idea why the backup / restore or import / export doesn't work if you have PM portable on a Ramdisk?
Maybe because the data on ramdisk have no "path" like your drive.