Can't install search engine - kinda

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
ThirdTryCharm

Can't install search engine - kinda

Unread post by ThirdTryCharm » 2016-03-23, 14:45

Just updated to latest version 26.1.1 (x86) Portable - and wanted to add StartPage as a search engine. Went to their site and clicked "add to browser."
Got PM-message "This search engine is not supported and cannot be installed." or something very close to that.
I went head anyway and it appeared in the Search engine dropdown with "Add StartPage"
I didn't click that as I thought I'd ask here first. I did some searches here and found other instances but different error messages.

Why is PM not compatible with some of the Privacy Oriented search engines? I had the same result trying to add ixquick.

You anti-privacy??? :D ;)

Andrew Gilbertson

Re: Can't install search engine - kinda

Unread post by Andrew Gilbertson » 2016-03-23, 15:06

I just added both StartPage and Ixquick as search engines on the (non-portable) version of Pale Moon 26.1.1 (x86) without an issue; so maybe the issue has to do with the "portable" part?

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-03-23, 16:57

Try this site for adding search engines: http://mycroftproject.com

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2016-03-23, 22:34

ThirdTryCharm wrote: Why is PM not compatible with some of the Privacy Oriented search engines? I had the same result trying to add ixquick.
I had added ixquick months ago without any problems (desktop as opposed to portable however).

Click HERE for another recent topic on adding Search Engines.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

ThirdTryCharm

Unread post by ThirdTryCharm » 2016-03-23, 22:55

Pale Moon Rising wrote:Click HERE for another recent topic on adding Search Engines.
Thanks, that's one of them I had found and that solution didn't change anything for me.

ThirdTryCharm

Unread post by ThirdTryCharm » 2016-03-23, 22:59

dark_moon wrote:Try this site for adding search engines: http://mycroftproject.com
Nope, not likely, they look like anyone could have pushed them together with all manner of nasties. :) I'd rather type "startpage" thirty times a day. :)

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2016-03-23, 23:27

ThirdTryCharm, my first try's the charm ;) Since it looks like a good Search Engine to have. :mrgreen:

I just now added the "Startpage" Search Engine to my list of search engines.

Clicked on the circled "Manage Search Engines..." and as you can see I've added the Startpage search engine (pointed out) by clicking on the "Get more search engines..." as illustrated in the next screen-shot and searching the add-ons page for "startpage" and Clicked the "Add to Firefox" button and I'm done.

Step 1 Click on "Manage Search Engines...":
Added Startpage.png
Step 2 Click on "Get more search engines...":
Get more search engines....png
Step 3: Find (search out) "Startpage" addon on the add-on website page and click on "Add to Firefox" for "Startpage Privacy Search Engine 20090713". All done, as you can see in the first screen-shot the search engine "Startpage" has just now been added to my list of search engines.

I then returned to "Manage Search Engines..." to move the "Startpage" Search engine up the list to where my two other "Private" Search Engines were listed to group them together (as you see below).
Final list of Search Engines notated.png
Tried it out, works fine. :thumbup: ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2016-03-23, 23:56, edited 2 times in total.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2016-03-23, 23:50

If none of those above option works, just install this add-on: https://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/ ... earch-bar/. Then do the following:
installing sp.jpg
adding to search bar.jpg

-P.S.: Sorry for the yellow box outlining, It's just Sandboxie and not part the default window. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2016-03-24, 17:18

ThirdTryCharm wrote:. . . .I had the same result trying to add ixquick.

As an aside -- StartPage and Ixquick are owned by the same company, the pages look and behave like near-carbon copies of each other. Ixquick will soon be merged into StartPage btw. See this announcement.
ThirdTryCharm wrote:...wanted to add StartPage as a search engine. Went to their site and clicked "add to browser."
Got PM-message "This search engine is not supported and cannot be installed." . . .
I went head anyway and it appeared in the Search engine dropdown with "Add StartPage"
I didn't click that as I thought I'd ask here first.

StartPage is sniffing the useragent. After adding a custom override for startpage.com based on Firefox 45.0 -- Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.0 -- the "add to browser" link did work, it added StartPage - English to the Search Bar.

However using the "add" option in the Search Bar's own menu (shown below) accomplished exactly the same thing -- at least for me:
SPadd.png
@ThirdTryCharm, it's understandable that you felt uncomfortable using the menu command after seeing the incompatibility message, but there was no cause for alarm. Based on sniffing, StartPage offered through its link a plugin meant for FF 38 which Pale Moon rejected. Again based on sniffing, StartPage offered a plugin meant for FF 45 which Pale Moon accepted (and which was identical in name to the plugin that installs via the Search Bar dropdown menu).

And just FYI --
The FF 38 version of the plugin is named "StartPage HTTPS". (Barring the name, I don't know if any other differences exist between the two versions of the plugin or the manner in which they're offered/downloaded.) Experimenting, I installed it in Pale Moon by dropping a copy into my profile's searchplugins folder. This added it to the Search Bar and once there it worked perfectly.