Portable for banking?Which version 32 or 64bit?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
sierramadreme

Portable for banking?Which version 32 or 64bit?

Unread post by sierramadreme » 2016-02-16, 07:56

Ok..Don't laugh at my questions,I really do need advice. :)

I'm in SE Asia.My bank in the US just sold their branches to another bank.I need online banking to monitor my Direct Deposits and whatnot.The new bank requires that I "Register my Computer".I assume that is the same as the "Remember me" option on many sites?I further assume that there are cookie (s) or similar that are placed in your browser/computer that identifies you to the site.Trouble is,that I don't like storing cookies and cache,and have my browser set to clear cookies etc on browser closure.

Would installing a portable browser to a USB drive work for this particular application?I would dedicate the USB drive for banking only.That would save all the identifying cookies and whatnot to the dedicated browser..right?I could also then access my account anywhere in the world,so long as I had my dedicated USB drive..correct?

Which version of Pale Moon would you suggest I use in the event that my assumptions are correct? The OS on my desktop is 64bit.Would a 32 bit work as well....in case I had to use a 32 bit computer for access? Would the portable also work on a tablet if I were to buy one?

Thanks for any help/advice.

sierramadreme

Re: Portable for banking?Which version 32 or 64bit?

Unread post by sierramadreme » 2016-02-17, 05:03

I apologize.

Maybe it was a stupid question I posted,and I am so dense that I don't even realize it.

Because it is a portable browser,that would mean all the cookies and cache would be retained in the browser right? Then that would mean that anytime I accessed the banking website with this browser,then I would be recognized...yes? I tried contacting the bank through their email,and all the person responding said,was that you can use any device to access,as long as the browser is "registered"...WTH?

and I thought it would be easy. :)

mgagnonlv
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mgagnonlv » 2016-02-17, 23:13

Hello,

You can use either the 32-bit or 64-bit versions of Pale Moon Portable. Still, I would recommend using the 32-bit version for the following reasons:
– it takes a bit less space on the USB key (minor detail, I know);
– it will work on a 32-bit system (useful if you have to use one) and on a 64-bit system;
– there are a few plugins that are 32-bit specific (not likely your bank use them anyways).

Now, if you truly must use the USB key on very old machines, you might be better with Pale Moon for Atom (no experience with it) or Firefox. Pale Moon 32 bit will work on Windows Vista, Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10, all in 32-bit or 64-bit versions.

A couple of warnings: A browser on an USB key is much slower than on a hard disk and USB keys are not totally fool proof.
So is it the best solution for your situation? Safety wise, it depends who accesses your computer vs who would access your USB key.

If you do your banking mostly from a single computer and never thought of going this route beforehand, I would suggest you first look at other solutions in your regular browser.

MY RECOMMENDATIONS

1. Use a cookie-managing extension such as Advanced Cookie Manager or Cookie Controller. With either one or another similar extension, you register the cookies to the domain "mybank.com" as "do not delete". This tells Pale Moon to delete daily all cookies except those related to your bank (and a few other critical places if you are inclined to do so). This allows you to stay logged in and keep your preferences for your favourites pages, yet throws a wrench is all cookies that try to follow you. (Note. I do not use any of these extensions, so I don't have hands on experience with them).

2. Use your regular version of Pale Moon to access your bank. That way, you'll register your computer once.

3. If you have a relatively open computer and many people can use your browser, add a master password. This way, the first time you open a Pale Moon session and Pale Moon needs to access a cookie/password/some other personal information, it will ask you the master password.

"REGISTER A COMPUTER" ?

I don't know exactly what they mean, as it means different things for different institutions. For example, at my bank, when I first got electronic access, they gave me a card, a password, and a series of personal questions to answer. I had to use 5 out of a list of 20. The first time I use a given computer, I have to give my card number and my password, and to answer two of these questions. Then a special cookie means that my computer will be registered with them and I won't need to answer those two questions again.

My bank also seems to use the MAC address of my computer (i.e. its "serial number") because if I use Pale Moon Portable, I'm of as long as I use it from home. But then, if I use the same Pale moon Portable from a second computer I own, I have to answer two questions.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)

superA

Unread post by superA » 2016-02-18, 05:45

Hi sierramadreme,

32bit, for the reasons mgagnonlv said above, is your best choise if you choose the USB installation.
If I were you, I would use one of these solutions:

1. Portable on a USB, use a profile with no addons at all, yes it is a bit slower but you can still do your work.
2. New profile, again with no extensions, keep your data and cookies if you like on exit, this is the most comfortable one.
3.Create a new profile and delete it everytime you finish your work.

For all those choices, dont install any thirtparty addon and do not make any further browsing.
Its your choice but I would pick the third one.

sierramadreme

Unread post by sierramadreme » 2016-02-19, 03:09

mgagnonlv wrote:Hello,

You can use either the 32-bit or 64-bit versions of Pale Moon Portable. Still, I would recommend using the 32-bit version for the following reasons:
– it takes a bit less space on the USB key (minor detail, I know);
– it will work on a 32-bit system (useful if you have to use one) and on a 64-bit system;
– there are a few plugins that are 32-bit specific (not likely your bank use them anyways).

Now, if you truly must use the USB key on very old machines, you might be better with Pale Moon for Atom (no experience with it) or Firefox. Pale Moon 32 bit will work on Windows Vista, Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10, all in 32-bit or 64-bit versions.

A couple of warnings: A browser on an USB key is much slower than on a hard disk and USB keys are not totally fool proof.
So is it the best solution for your situation? Safety wise, it depends who accesses your computer vs who would access your USB key.

If you do your banking mostly from a single computer and never thought of going this route beforehand, I would suggest you first look at other solutions in your regular browser.

MY RECOMMENDATIONS

1. Use a cookie-managing extension such as Advanced Cookie Manager or Cookie Controller. With either one or another similar extension, you register the cookies to the domain "mybank.com" as "do not delete". This tells Pale Moon to delete daily all cookies except those related to your bank (and a few other critical places if you are inclined to do so). This allows you to stay logged in and keep your preferences for your favourites pages, yet throws a wrench is all cookies that try to follow you. (Note. I do not use any of these extensions, so I don't have hands on experience with them).

2. Use your regular version of Pale Moon to access your bank. That way, you'll register your computer once.

3. If you have a relatively open computer and many people can use your browser, add a master password. This way, the first time you open a Pale Moon session and Pale Moon needs to access a cookie/password/some other personal information, it will ask you the master password.

"REGISTER A COMPUTER" ?

I don't know exactly what they mean, as it means different things for different institutions. For example, at my bank, when I first got electronic access, they gave me a card, a password, and a series of personal questions to answer. I had to use 5 out of a list of 20. The first time I use a given computer, I have to give my card number and my password, and to answer two of these questions. Then a special cookie means that my computer will be registered with them and I won't need to answer those two questions again.

My bank also seems to use the MAC address of my computer (i.e. its "serial number") because if I use Pale Moon Portable, I'm of as long as I use it from home. But then, if I use the same Pale moon Portable from a second computer I own, I have to answer two questions.
Thank you very much for the response mgagnonlv.

I was trying to find a "portable" solution to the issue.My thought was that if I needed to access my account via a different computer,that a portable would be a good choice.I never considered that my computer itself,might have identifying data on it (computer name or number as you implied).I mailed the bank about the issue,and they responded that I need to "register" each device I use.They didn't indicate why that was necessary,or even if a portable browser would suffice.I guess I need to mail them again with the questions you showed me that I should ask.

About cookie control.I don't know if I would be proficient enough to be able to do that.

Thanks again for the help.

SMM

sierramadreme

Unread post by sierramadreme » 2016-02-19, 03:16

superA wrote:Hi sierramadreme,

32bit, for the reasons mgagnonlv said above, is your best choise if you choose the USB installation.
If I were you, I would use one of these solutions:

1. Portable on a USB, use a profile with no addons at all, yes it is a bit slower but you can still do your work.
2. New profile, again with no extensions, keep your data and cookies if you like on exit, this is the most comfortable one.
3.Create a new profile and delete it everytime you finish your work.

For all those choices, dont install any thirtparty addon and do not make any further browsing.
Its your choice but I would pick the third one.
superA:

Thanks for the advice.

I'm not sure what you mean by "profile".Is that related to how the browser is set up? (selected options I suppose would be the term).

32bit for sure then,as you both have confirmed that to be the better choice in my situation.

I would probably select option 2 that you listed.I would not use my portable browser for anything other than online banking access.Not only for security issues,but simply for allowing all cookies to be set for the sake of convenience..

Thanks again for the help.

SMM