Transferring bookmarks, etc. from 'regular' Pale Moon

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Transferring bookmarks, etc. from 'regular' Pale Moon

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2016-02-02, 21:12

I just installed Pale Moon Portable (x32) on a USB drive; J in my case. I also have the 'regular' version, also (x32) on my Windows 7 (x64) desktop.

I wanted to copy all my bookmarks, add-ons, and User Styles from my desktop to the USB drive. As I remember, all this information is stored in .............AppData\Roaming\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\Profiles. So 1st I copied the contents of, in my case, su46gq4v.default. Then I went to J:\Pale Moon_Portable\User\Palemoon\Profiles\Default, deleted all its contents, and then pasted what I had copied from my desktop into Default.

That seemed to work, and appears to have gotten everything but my Plugins. My Appearance items were copied, but do not all seem to work correctly.

So was the copy/paste I did the correct way to achieve this? Should my plugins have been also copied, or do I have to install them manually?

Also, I removed the semicolon in front of MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1, as noted in one of the threads, so I can have both the regular version and the portable version open at the same time. But I cannot find any indication on the portable version that it is, in fact, the portable version! Is there some place that is noted? Without that, it is hard for me to tell them apart.

Thanks in advance,

Harry

LunaPallooza

Re: Transferring bookmarks, etc. from 'regular' Pale Moon

Unread post by LunaPallooza » 2016-02-20, 08:32

Will be trying the portable version tomorrow as well for the first time.
Was wondering the same. But from reviewing all of the other posts as well as the sticky, it sounds like you just need to copy over the contents of the User profile folder.
I will also set it up to run multiple instances by removing the ";" in the ini file.

One suggestion re/ figuring out the difference when running both at the same time, and being able to tell them apart ... how about setting up the Portable version with a different Theme? That should easily solve that issue.

Two other questions I have though are,
1 - does copying over the installed profile also include any edits that have been made to the about:config settings? I'ld like to assume yes, but you know what they say about assuming. :)

2 - with the Pale Moon Backup Tool, I "suppose" that also only works to Restore to the main installed version, and can't be used for Restoring/Importing a profile to a portable version. Correct?

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2016-02-20, 11:37

LunaPallooza wrote:1 - does copying over the installed profile also include any edits that have been made to the about:config settings?
Yes, those edits live in the prefs.js file in your profile folder, if you copy that file you get the edits.
LunaPallooza wrote:2 - with the Pale Moon Backup Tool, I "suppose" that also only works to Restore to the main installed version, and can't be used for Restoring/Importing a profile to a portable version. Correct?
Correct. Please see:

http://www.palemoon.org/backuptool.shtml
  1. This tool only works for the default profile location for Pale Moon (not for custom profile locations)
  2. This tool does not work for portable versions (then again, you can simply copy the folder in its entirety)

AND
http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=758
It's meant for basic desktop installations only. Portable browser users don't need it, they can simply copy their browser&profile somewhere safe.
People with custom profile paths probably don't need it, they are likely to have profiles stored in an easy to use/copy location already anyway.
Once again: this will only work for default, desktop installations!

1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2016-02-20, 17:15

LunaPallooza wrote: One suggestion re/ figuring out the difference when running both at the same time, and being able to tell them apart ... how about setting up the Portable version with a different Theme? That should easily solve that issue.
Great suggestion. I will do that.

Let me know after you install the portable version if your add-ons got transferred with your profile, or if you had to install them manually.

Harry

LunaPallooza

Unread post by LunaPallooza » 2016-02-20, 20:18

Awesome. Thanks coffeebreak.

Harry,
Interesting ... I hadn't transferred/copied over the Installed version profile yet, launched the Portable version and, as expected, clean with no extensions. Clicked on the Plugins tab, and I see they are all there, except Adobe Acrobat in
the Portable is highlighted in red and says it needs to be updated, whereas in the Installed PM the Acrobat plugin has no such indication and thinks it's just fine.

So obviously you don't need to copy anything specifically re/ Plugins from Installed to Portable version.

As mentioned, I set the ini file to run multiple instances. So ... launched Installed version, then launched Portable at the same time. That works fine. Portable is stil default w/ no Extensions, but does have the Plugins.

Next, all PM's closed, backed up (copied) the Profile for Portable default folder to "Default - Copy" (just in case), then copied the Installed Profile contents over into the original Portable default folder, launched ... and ...
all Extensions and Plugins, etc. are there and it works. I'm using it now to post here.

Note - I'm testing the Portable from a folder on the main h/d, so maybe it's a path issue in the ini file referencing your USB J: drive. Looks like it should just work though.

I see what you mean re/ no indication in this situation showing that it's a Portable version.
Mind you, I can't think of any reason I'd ever want or need to run an Installed and Portable version at the same time.
But even when just using the Portable, I'll switch it to use another theme or appearance just so I'm aware of the difference while using it so as to not get confused if something goes wrong and I forget I'm using the Portable version.
Cuz then I'd probably go and "fix" something, it would be in the Installed version, I'd muck that up, and then they'd both be mucked up, and then I'd get frowns across my forehead ... which might stay there ... which is never conducive to having a good day. :crazy:

Running latest 26.1.0 (x86) of both on W7 - til I switch to Linux in 2020. ;)

=====

Slightly off topic, but whatever ... over on MC's side of the pond, sort of close to his homeland, they have a little event that is well known 'round the world called ... Oktoberfest.
Here's a suggestion that MC should be able to sit back and relax and watch somebody else implement ... a new celebration called "Pale Moon Fest"! :D
It's been said lots before, but - Thanks for all you do MC. :thumbup:

mgagnonlv
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mgagnonlv » 2016-02-21, 00:08

Hello,

A few quick items.

1. Copying the contents of a profile folder from one place to another works fine.

2. As opposed to extensions, plugins are installed in the system, which is why you saw them from your new Pale Moon Portable. For instance, the Acrobat plug-in is installed when you install the Acrobat program. Most plug-ins are 32bit only. So if you install Pale Moon 64 bit (portable or not), less plugins will be recognized.

3. To use two independent versions of Pale Moon, I'm not sure if you need "MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1" only for the second instance you want to start of for both of them.

4. To check which version of Pale Moon is running, make them a bit different. For instance, start the Pale Moon Portable by itself (i.e. when the other one is NOT working) and configure it so that the complete menu bar and traditional title bar appear. That way, you will easily know which version is used.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)

1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2016-02-21, 01:23

Thanks guys for all the feedback and help.

I just installed the add-ons manually for the portable version. No big deal--I was just curious. And it may be because I installed in on a USB drive, whereas some of you just installed in a different directory on your computer.

I changed the Appearance add-on for my portable back to the default. Now I can tell them apart.

If I opened the portable 1st, without changing the "MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1", my desktop version would not open.

I have a new error message on my portable, but I am going to start a new thread for it.

Harry