Search requests.

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
megaman

Search requests.

Unread post by megaman » 2012-06-13, 17:22

I only use 3 search engines.

Qrobe under HTTPs
Youtube video search
Mozilla Add-ons.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Search requests.

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-06-13, 17:56

And your point being?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2012-06-13, 18:28

Simple request for them to being added, or replace any, it does not change anything if they are not accepted/applied.
I am a bit surprised that Mozilla does not put their Add-ons as a search.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-06-13, 18:54

The add-ons search is already integrated in the add-on manager (it's a more logical place to have it there anyway).
As for added search engines - unless they are going to benefit everyone, they are best left as "search plugins" to add yourself for your own searches. Everyone has their own preference. If I were to add the (vendor specific) YouTube search, I'd also have to add competitors...
I've actually been moving away from including commercial preferences in Pale Moon (removed eBay and Amazon, for example) as defaults, I wouldn't want to re-introduce them.
Qrobe is a multi-search engine, just like dogpile and others; never even heard of it before now :) Same applies, if I'd add one, I'd have to add more. Probably best left to the user which one they want to use? I wouldn't want to push too many defaults and let people decide for themselves, so I'm only including a selection of the "big few" as defaults.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2012-06-13, 19:11

Moonchild wrote:Qrobe is a multi-search engine, just like dogpile and others; never even heard of it before now :) Same applies, if I'd add one, I'd have to add more. Probably best left to the user which one they want to use? I wouldn't want to push too many defaults and let people decide for themselves, so I'm only including a selection of the "big few" as defaults.
Qrobe searches Bing and Google privately, so they do not count our searches. (I used to use mamma.com in the past.)
Both find things that the other does not, depending on the search.

I would use Qrobe's Privatelee, but it does not give suggestions while typing queries.

I understand, just simply giving a request, not hoping for it to happen. :)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-06-13, 20:31

Actually, Google + Bing + Ask, according to the site. Personally, I wouldn't want any results from Ask when I search for something :P

And, if you recall from another thread on this board about a similar privacy-shielding search engine, the search engines queried DO count and track searches that are proxied and search results will vary because of that. They just don't do any tracking themselves and your individual searches can't be traced back to you personally. It should be noted that individual tracking is not done by the big search engines, they only use aggregates. Those aggregates are still collected.

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2012-06-13, 20:52

Moonchild wrote:Actually, Google + Bing + Ask, according to the site. Personally, I wouldn't want any results from Ask when I search for something :P

And, if you recall from another thread on this board about a similar privacy-shielding search engine, the search engines queried DO count and track searches that are proxied and search results will vary because of that. They just don't do any tracking themselves and your individual searches can't be traced back to you personally. It should be noted that individual tracking is not done by the big search engines, they only use aggregates. Those aggregates are still collected.
Okay, I will just "Duck it" from henceforth, I already complained to DDG because they do not have image display section. :)
"Duck it or **** it" My motto, patent pending. (Intended as a joke)