Subset of MSE?

Suggestions and feature requests for the Pale Moon browser
DAOWAce

Subset of MSE?

Post by DAOWAce » 2015-05-12, 19:32

New Firefox update included this in the main release notes:
Mac OS X: Implemented a subset of the Media Source Extensions (MSE) API to allow native HTML5 playback on YouTube
Can a developer look into this to see exactly what's been added (and enlighten us non-programmers)? Maybe if it's light enough (no DRM?) it can be ported over to PM so we can finally watch 60FPS content on Youtube, like a bunch of people (including myself) are asking for.
Off-topic:
They also added EME and forced DRM; glad I'm not using FF anymore...though it does let you watch HTML5 DRM content, so that's another thing we'll have to shift browsers for if we ever want to do, like the 60FPS Youtube videos; joy.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Subset of MSE?

Post by Moonchild » 2015-05-12, 19:49

Just because Firefox does this doesn't mean we are going to. EME will absolutely never make its way into Pale Moon.

MSE is simply not on the roadmap because it's not a web browser's task to do media processing. That belongs in a plugin.
Pale Moon also can play 60fps and HD just fine, just not on YouTube because Google doesn't stream normal media container formats at HFR or HD anymore. That's not our fault.
"There will be times when the position you advocate, no matter how well framed and supported, will not be accepted by the public simply because you are who you are." -- Merrill Rose

half-moon

Post by half-moon » 2015-05-12, 21:28

Off-topic:
I think I've asked this before, but what is the best open source web plugin that works with Pale Moon on windows. I've tried VLC before, but I have nothing positive to say about it.

asplode

Post by asplode » 2015-05-14, 17:09

Aren't they plugins in Firefox, too, though? What's preventing including them with Pale Moon?

When I go to Plugins in Firefox (this is from Firefox 38.0), I see two of interest:
  • OpenH264 Video Codec provided by Cisco Systems, Inc. 1.4
  • Primetime Content Decryption Module provided by Adobe Systems, Incorporated 9
I haven't spent a lot of time looking, but I didn't see an easy way to add those plugins to Pale Moon.

So, not knowing what Firefox has done internally to support the plugins above, does that mean that Pale Moon will never have MSE (Media Source Extensions) and EME (Encrypted Media Extensions) support, even though plugins are available, because Pale Moon would have to change internally to support the plugins, or is there another reason?

Thanks for Pale Moon, by the way. Just trying to understand the rational a behind the roadmap a bit better.

DAOWAce

Post by DAOWAce » 2015-05-21, 10:37

Moonchild wrote:Pale Moon also can play 60fps and HD just fine, just not on YouTube because Google doesn't stream normal media container formats at HFR or HD anymore. That's not our fault.
As a twitch viewer/streamer, I know. Flash can do high resolution/framerate content fairly well (4K gets iffy). Pretty much everything is plugin based for media viewing though (be it flash, WMP, MSE based stuff or what have you).

What I don't know is what HTML5 allows. I only knew basic HTML/CSS/PHP a few years back, I've not kept up on development of anything since 2010 (as HTML5 was being developed).

Also, the MSE thing for 60FPS videos on youtube appears as a plugin, as asplode mentioned. IIRC it wasn't there prior to the 60FPS support? (I never upgraded beyond 28 for more than a 5 minute troubleshooting attempt)

MSE might just have to rely on an external plugin instead of something direct, so the plugin might not actually do anything without it, but still, we don't know this and would like to hear from someone who does.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Post by Moonchild » 2015-05-21, 10:46

The cisco plugin is for WebRTC
The "Primetime" plugin is the blackbox EME DRM module.

Neither of those have anything to do with MSE directly which is a set of media stream manipulation functions for JS.
"There will be times when the position you advocate, no matter how well framed and supported, will not be accepted by the public simply because you are who you are." -- Merrill Rose