Wheel scrolling speed.

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Ryrynz

Wheel scrolling speed.

Unread post by Ryrynz » 2012-01-29, 20:58

I added a extension called smoothwheel which really makes a difference, some other similar tweak you could add would be quite nice.
Anything that delivers the scroll speed similar to Chrome is a big improvement over Firefox's default setting.

megaman

Re: Wheel scrolling speed.

Unread post by megaman » 2012-01-29, 21:11

Thanks for your personal opinion.

I still believe that the Firefox scrolling is much better with the Smooth option. I agree with your choice of add-on, I have tried the add-on in the past, and it does compete with Chromium Wheel Smooth Scroller. Smoothwheel has been around for a long time, though.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-01-29, 21:33

It's already available as an add-on and is personal preference - I don't really see a reason to change this behavior in the core (it already has a smooth scroll option, and often mouse drivers on windows, especially if you use touchpads, allow you to make per-application settings for this).

UPDATE: I'll have a look at the dynamic algorithm in smoothwheel.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

o gajo

Unread post by o gajo » 2012-05-23, 18:12

I everybody this is my 1º post here :wave:

i have downloaded the 12.1 version of palemoon and i have to say that the smooth scroll is just amazing :D

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-05-23, 22:15

It's actually the OP's remark - the algorithm that is used in pale Moon 12.1 is in fact the smoothwheel one, since it's superior to what was in the browser before.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Ryrynz

Unread post by Ryrynz » 2012-05-24, 06:36

And loving it BTW.. :thumbup:

MoonShadow

Unread post by MoonShadow » 2012-06-19, 22:59

Just wanted to thank you for the improvement in wheel scrolling . Much better! I run Logitech Setpoint and I had to disable its smooth scrolling because it conflicted with several programs including all the browsers I tried. The earlier PM scrolling was, like those other programs, what I can best call "twitchy". I happened with the mouse wheel detents enabled, but was way worse with them off. After a scroll, the mere act of taking my finger off the wheel caused the screen to jump out of position -- and I mean way out; like about 15-20 lines some times. On rare occasions it even happened with my hand completely off the mouse. I experimented with pointer speed, acceleration and lines per click but nothing helped, even set at the lowest setting. Very disconcerting, annoying and infuriating. Now I keep the detents off for free-wheeling smoothness without a problem. Thanks for the improvement... Now if I could just get you to fix those other programs too...