Change the FavIcon back to a blank page?

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
mmx64

Change the FavIcon back to a blank page?

Unread post by mmx64 » 2012-01-17, 09:23

In the newest versions of Firefox the icons for websites without a favicon has been changed from a blank page to an empty frame:

I don't understand why. From the typical users point of view I think an empty frame symbolizes "nothing", a "placeholder", "insert something here", etc. An empty page on the other hand is a document. Remember that sites without a facicon are not "empty", they are pages with real content, just without an icon attached.

Since palemoon already contains design changes such as tabs on top and status bar, this is something you might consider reverting back to too.

sdrocking

Re: Change the FavIcon back to a blank page?

Unread post by sdrocking » 2012-01-17, 17:50

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-01-17, 22:29

I don't understand why. From the typical users point of view I think an empty frame symbolizes "nothing", a "placeholder", "insert something here", etc. An empty page on the other hand is a document. Remember that sites without a facicon are not "empty", they are pages with real content, just without an icon attached.
You can see the empty frame as a placeholder for the icon. It's a hint that the web designer has omitted to supply an icon for the page/site. "insert icon here"

You could similarly reason that a "blank page" icon means that the web page you are at has no content...
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

mmx64

Unread post by mmx64 » 2012-01-18, 06:55

Moonchild wrote:You can see the empty frame as a placeholder for the icon. It's a hint that the web designer has omitted to supply an icon for the page/site. "insert icon here"
You assume there is a web designer behind the site. But if you just want to get your content up on the web, you probably don't care much about design, or even know what a favicon is.
Moonchild wrote:You could similarly reason that a "blank page" icon means that the web page you are at has no content...
True. Could easily be fixed by adding some lines to the icon though. And I still think an blank page is better than nothing at all.

Just my 2c. Don't take it personally. It's Mozilla's decisions I don't like :-)