Web "incognito" domain silos

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
graymatter

Web "incognito" domain silos

Unread post by graymatter » 2021-04-21, 07:35

Probably a dumb question but is it feasible to have a different "store" for cookies, etc. that is tied to the top level domain for the web site? For example, it would treat each domain like a persisted private window for that domain. Like a silo. If I go back to the domain then it's like I never left. If the site supports a persistent login then I would be logged in automatically. I have no problem with adverts on different sites. What I get unhappy about is the tracking that goes along with it. I use uMatrix to get around this but sometimes it's nice to enable everything for some sites (e.g. banking site) to reduce conflicts.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Web "incognito" domain silos

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-04-21, 07:49

I'm not sure what you're asking. Cookies and storage are domain-specific by design already. One domain can't access another domain's cookies (that would be really bad!)...
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2021-04-21, 07:55

Maybe OP is asking for a "Total Cookie Protection" like Firefox?

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

graymatter

Unread post by graymatter » 2021-04-21, 08:29

jobbautista9 wrote:
2021-04-21, 07:55
Maybe OP is asking for a "Total Cookie Protection" like Firefox?
Yes, this is exactly what I am talking about. I wasn't aware that Firefox had something like that.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-04-21, 09:27

Right. So basically dropping all third-party cookies in a jar specific to the 1st party domain you are visiting.
I guess that would be doable. Issue #1766 (UXP)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-04-21, 10:23

Containers has a similar solution, creating a sandbox where sites only have access to whatever there is in the sandbox (separate store for cookies and cache). I'm working on forking Priv8 which used to do this before Firefox added container support natively.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-21, 10:25

Containers are a shit solution and the half-busted half-removed state in UXP will be fully removed eventually.

Please stop promoting incorrect useage of the internet.