zoom level pop-up

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
juniper

zoom level pop-up

Unread post by juniper » 2021-03-27, 05:17

Can a pop-up that shows up every time you zoom in and out and tells you how zoomed in you are be added? There is an add-on which shows the current zoom level in the status bar, but I hide the status bar in favor of the status pop-up. As somebody who looks at images a lot, I'd seriously appreciate it.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: zoom level pop-up

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-03-27, 10:37

I guess you didn't bother to read viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5647

tl;dt Please use or create an extension for this.

RESOLVED WONTFIX

juniper

Unread post by juniper » 2021-03-27, 16:22

I did bother to read it. Firefox, waterfox, pre-chromium edge, opera and chrome have current zoom level indicators that don't constantly use up precious, vertical screen real-estate. If all of these browsers have this feature, I'd think it's pretty universally appreciated. I don't know how adding this feature would break anything either.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-03-27, 20:58

So you're complaining that a permanently displaying extension isn't what you want but then bash us for not implementing a pop-up version that none of those browsers have... :crazy:

You know you can always display the zoom level in other toolbars than the status bar. Perhaps the existing extensions already allow you to drag the indicator to other toolbars, as well. Have you tried?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

juniper

Unread post by juniper » 2021-03-28, 04:09

I apologize if I came across as bashing palemoon. That wasn't my intention.

I'm not sure what you mean by no other browsers having a pop-up for that. I know chrome does. Firefox has this within the url bar, which some people find intrusive.
You know you can always display the zoom level in other toolbars than the status bar.
I was not aware of that. The No Squint extension is what allows it to show in the status bar and that extension has no other options for placement of that from what I could see in its settings and palemoon's customize interface.

The status pop-up displays whenever hovering over a link, so if it could do that after zooming to display the current level, that would be nice. I don't know how labor intensive implementing that would be since I'm not a programmer. So if I want this feature to be added, I'll have to learn javascript and XUL?

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-03-28, 20:35

juniper wrote:
2021-03-28, 04:09
I was not aware of that. The No Squint extension is what allows it to show in the status bar
That NoSquint zoom indicator is actually a status bar panel rather than a regular toolbar button, so it's true that it cant be moved elsewhere in the UI.

You might open an issue in the maintainer's GitHub repository to ask if he is willing to add a toolbar button option for that feature, since a button would be moveable (and also ask for the ability to hide the "status bar panel zoom indicator" for those who prefer the button).

Or as another alternative, see if another extension on the add-ons site offers what you want (searching on "image" should find some candidates).