Gemini Support

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Gemini Support

Unread post by fatboy » 2021-02-22, 07:18

Good Day Folks,

Not sure how many of you are familiar with the new web protocol called Gemini? Please see https://gemini.circumlunar.space/

I am posting here to ask if this can be supported? Or alternatively, creating an extension that would allow one to browse gemini space?

Thank You,
fatboy
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Gemini Support

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-02-22, 08:18

It isn't an accepted web standard as yet so don't expect official support for it. You can create an extension if you want.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-02-22, 08:20

If a rudimentary client can be written in 100 lines of Python/Lua/Go code, then I'm sure the same can be done in js for an extension.
Core support will be unlikely, since this will at the very most see corner case use even if standardized.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2021-02-22, 10:18

Moonchild wrote:
2021-02-22, 08:20
If a rudimentary client can be written in 100 lines of Python/Lua/Go code, then I'm sure the same can be done in js for an extension.
Core support will be unlikely, since this will at the very most see corner case use even if standardized.
Fair enough, thanks for the feedback. You do get Gemini browser, but it would be very convenient if PM could view gemini space as well.
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-02-22, 14:44

Adding protocols in javascript is actually reletively easy so an extension would be the way to go for now.

Though, after reading the spec it is insanely retarded and lacks a fuck ton of basic things any protocol should have. They go on and on using language and bullshit that taps into a lot of technical and societal conserns with the modern web without a lot of substance to back up their position on such an incomplete protocol. Just this is what it is and that is all anyone needs.

In general, it feels manipulative and half-hearted.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2021-02-22, 18:21

With regards to adding a protocol via extension one could probably look at OverbiteFF as an example of that. That one is an order bigger than 100 lines though (the actual .js that implements this - yes, it is just one - is ~2000 lines it seems). But it's also been around for quite a while, so..

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-02-23, 00:16

This whole protocol seems like a solution in search of a problem :roll:
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2021-02-23, 00:33

It's not so bad, but it's trying to fill a niche that wasn't really in need of being filled.
Personally I think people should use dedicated clients, though.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-02-23, 00:45

vannilla wrote:
2021-02-23, 00:33
Personally I think people should use dedicated clients, though.
Off-topic:
Pretty much this. This was what Microsoft feared in the 90s - that the web browser would make operating systems redundant - and it's worse than they could have imagined. We are ironically back to the mainframe era as mere mortals granted access to the all powerful and inscrutable web application, the time of the PC where the user was in control of their applications & data has ended.
No wonder browsers have bloated with complexity in response to doing everything that required a separate client for mail, instant messaging, videoconferencing or even games and photo editing.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2021-02-23, 00:52

My main reasoning is because by using dedicated utilities for something that is 2 years old and meant to exist "outside" established protocols, weird interoperativity situations are avoided, but to each its own.