OpenSearch Plugins Topic is solved

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Moonbird

OpenSearch Plugins

Unread post by Moonbird » 2020-01-03, 11:56

There was a time, when old browsers had a nice ability to add search engines into the search bar on the top righht corner. No plugin or whatsoever was required for that (see a screenshot of an old Firefox). The preselected choice of search engines, that can be obtainted over the Pale Moon website, lack for example different languages in Wikipedia or leo.org (dictionary). Also someone has to keep that list updated all the time, if new search engines arise. Instead, the users can put search engines into their browsers by themselves.
Attachments
Searchengine.GIF

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: OpenSearch Plugins

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-01-03, 12:12

Have you even tried doing this in Pale Moon? Because it doesn't seem like you have, as adding OpenSearch plugins from websites is fully available and working in Pale Moon...
Attachments
Image1.png
Image1.png (22.27 KiB) Viewed 970 times
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Moonbird

Unread post by Moonbird » 2020-01-03, 20:26

Mr. Wolf! I'm so sorry! Please don't eat me for that stupidity! It was the Private Browsing Mode to blame, which we didn't had with Netscape back in the days. After setting "Never remember history" to "Use custom settings for history" and disabling Private Browsing Mode, the new search engines are appearing in the list as you showed. Phew. Thank you for your good work!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-01-03, 23:17

Moonbird wrote:
2020-01-03, 20:26
Mr. Wolf! I'm so sorry! Please don't eat me for that stupidity!
Well, I do like me some goose now and then ;-) 🐺

Glad you figured it out!
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite