Show an "Are you sure?" dialog when selecting "Forget about this site" Topic is solved

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
__NM64__
Lunatic
Lunatic

Show an "Are you sure?" dialog when selecting "Forget about this site"

Unread post by __NM64__ » 2019-11-01, 01:50

When right-clicking on an entry in my browser history, I've now twice accidentally selected "Forget about this site" when quickly meaning to instead select "Delete this page" since 'Forget' is located directly below it without even a separator.

(luckily, both times I've been able to quickly bring up up the task manager and force-end the palemoon.exe process before it actually finishes, thereby seemingly preventing the 'Forget' process from actually having any impact)

But the fact that it's happened twice now is what made me wonder why, much like when opening a bunch of tabs, it doesn't ask "Are you sure?".

This is especially true since, at least on my browser configuration with a ton of bookmarks and history, it seems to completely max out a single CPU core much in the same way that opening a bunch of tabs at once does (and this is on a dual-core desktop Haswell overclocked to 4.6GHz with idle utilization at a mere 0-1%). So from a performance standpoint alone it seems like asking "Are you sure?" would be worth it since it's my understanding that this performance reason alone is why we have an "Are you sure?" dialog pop up when opening a bunch of tabs at once.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Show an "Are you sure?" dialog when selecting "Forget about this site"

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-11-01, 01:59

Request denied. Go back to your hole, NintendoManiac64.

__NM64__
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by __NM64__ » 2019-11-01, 02:02

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2019-11-01, 01:59
Go back to your hole, NintendoManiac64.
uhh...what?

Did I do something that I'm not aware of and/or don't remember...? It's been like 5 months since I last visited the forum and AFAICT no ill will occurred towards me, and before that there was only a single sort of stand-alone post made within this year before one get to posts that are over a year old that I don't even remember making by now (and looking at the barely-existent discussion that resulted from them, they too don't look like they resulted in any ill will).

So uh... did I miss a memo somewhere?

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-11-01, 03:29

Could save a lot of time by just getting rid of this subforum altogether. As I observed once before, why have a feature request board at all if everything is to be refused or expected to be done via extension?
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

karlkracher
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by karlkracher » 2019-11-01, 04:03

You can use Menu Wizard to hide unwanted menu entries.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-11-01, 04:27

karlkracher wrote:
2019-11-01, 04:03
I think he wants a prompt, not to get rid of the menu altogether.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

__NM64__
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by __NM64__ » 2019-11-01, 05:48

karlkracher wrote:
2019-11-01, 04:03
moonbat wrote:
2019-11-01, 04:27
to get rid of the menu altogether.
Naw, removing it works for me since I literally never use it. Thanks for the tip karlkracher!

And if for some reason I need the function, then I can still temporarily disable the extension.

EDIT: Actually it looks like the extension itself has a built-in "show all" option so that I don't even have to disable the extension and/or reset my settings in order to access the "forget site" option, so yes this solution works great!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-11-01, 08:47

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2019-11-01, 01:59
Request denied. Go back to your hole, NintendoManiac64.
Don't make unilateral decisions without discussion for what is still not your project, Tobin. And don't be so rude.
If you're having a bad day, stay off the forum; it's better for everyone.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-11-01, 08:51

moonbat wrote:
2019-11-01, 03:29
Could save a lot of time by just getting rid of this subforum altogether. As I observed once before, why have a feature request board at all if everything is to be refused or expected to be done via extension?
I'd still like to hear people's suggestions -- although things may not be implemented or implemented differently or (initially!) be redirected to extension use, doesn't mean we don't want to hear user suggestions or feature requests. BUT as I've also stated clearly, for some added feature to the core it must have objective usefulness to many users, and not be for someone's individual workflow or (in)ability to perform a task.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-11-01, 09:05

Sorry NM64, Moonchild.