Wait till authentication complete before prompting to save password

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Wait till authentication complete before prompting to save password

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-07-22, 15:38

On Palemoon (and Firefox, since that's where the original behavior was seen), the prompt to save credentials for a site shows up the moment you submit the form - on Chrome it only does if the login moves to the next page. Since most login pages use AJAX to prompt for incorrect password and only move on if successful, I'm guessing that's how Chrome decides to pop up the prompt.
Since we're anyway forked from Firefox for years now, maybe this behavior could be added here as well? I don't know if Firefox mimics Chrome's behavior in this regard as well or continues with how it used to be before.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Wait till authentication complete before prompting to save password

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-07-22, 21:32

I'm afraid it's not that simple. When submitting a form is the -only- time you can be certain that entered credentials are passed as-is.
How will the browser know when "authentication is complete"? Any website can implement this differently.
e.g.: If the website is fully dynamic it may not even fire a navigation event in which case you won't ever have the option to save the password if going by that behavior.

There is also no requirement to immediately answer the question to store the password or not, and you can do so at your leisure after the page has loaded and you've verified the login succeeded...

Our current behavior is fine; I'm not inclined to change it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite