New browsing functions.

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
federatedfly

New browsing functions.

Unread post by federatedfly » 2019-05-09, 17:29

There are some simple browsing operations that are not provided by Pale Moon:
  • Go to the next page of a serialized html (The URL specified in <link rel="next"> inside page's <head>)
  • Go to the previous page of a serialized html (The URL specified in <link rel="prev"> inside page's <head>)
  • Go to the page above (The URL equal to current site's URL/../)
I think the browser should provide these operations even if they're not vailable out-of-the-box, but as buttons listed in toolbars' customize window that could be included in the Navigation Toolbar, and as itens that could be included in context menu by editing usersChrome.css or by setting some option in about:config.

There are actually two extensions that do it, but poorly:
- Directory Up does add a icon in toolbar, but do not add an item at context menu.
- Space Advance does not add toolbar icon nor menu entry, it just adds a keybinding enabled when scrolling to the end of the page.

I think those navigation functions are so basic for browsing webpages that they should be included by default in the browser, even if need to be enabled by drag-and-droping it in the toolbar or setting it in about:config. And also, they are easy to be implemented. As for the existing add-ons, I think they add more function than the basic, they both just add keybindings and new behavior to these basic browsing functions, and they could keep existing after those functions being implemented in the browser by just setting new keybindings and features to the already existing browser functions. For example, the Space Advance add-on could just keep allowing the user to press the space bar at the end of a page to advance to the next page, since this feature is non-basic and just extends the basic feature of going to the next page.

RexyDallas

Re: New browsing functions.

Unread post by RexyDallas » 2019-05-09, 19:46

As a note, this is standard functionality on SeaMonkey, which is generally a very conservative browser. So, if anyone wanted to try to get the Suite to run on the UXP codebase, it has the "Website Navigation Bar", which implements this functionality. It even has the option of whether to always show it, or only show it as needed. I personally preferred the conservative appearance/functionality of SeaMonkey, (more power-user oriented, especially the preferences, the downloads window, and per-toolbar settings. In particular, per-toolbar settings is a feature I really wish Pale Moon had. It is a very useful feature for customization.) and I moved to Pale Moon because Mozilla's plans to remove add-ons, and because the lack of updates was starting to become a real issue. (A large part of the issue is Mozilla constantly tearing features out of Gecko.)

This is an image of SeaMonkey with the Website Navigation bar enabled.
SeaMonkey.png
Or, perhaps someone could take the code from SeaMonkey, and turn it into an add on for Pale Moon that adds that toolbar.

(Note: I am not suggesting you use SeaMonkey, as it is sadly very outdated by now, and there are probably many websites that won't work on it.)

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2019-05-09, 20:26

RexyDallas wrote:
2019-05-09, 19:46
So, if anyone wanted to try to get the Suite to run on the UXP codebase
They have, at least on Linux. It's called Iceape-UXP, maintained by the Hyperbola folks.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

federatedfly

Unread post by federatedfly » 2019-05-09, 21:52

RexyDallas wrote:
2019-05-09, 19:46
As a note, this is standard functionality on SeaMonkey, which is generally a very conservative browser. So, if anyone wanted to try to get the Suite to run on the UXP codebase, it has the "Website Navigation Bar", which implements this functionality.
I tried SeaMonkey before moving to Pale Moon, and while it has this functionality, it do not always works. For some websites the "go up" icon is gray/inactive, while it is active in other sites. Also, it is very weird that the Website Navigation Bar is not set by clicking with the right mouse button and selecting to switch this bar on/off like the other toolbars, but its configuration is hidden in the menu.

Anyways, I think those functionalities (go to up/previous/next page) are so basic for browsing that it should be present in every browser, even if not shown by default.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-05-09, 23:53

Upcoming-one-of-these-days Borealis is very much like SeaMonkey since it is based on community communicator code but it isn't SeaMonkey, it is just a Navigator.

I did remove the Web Navigation Toolbar but an extension can be made to put it back.. I don't see how this was ever a useful feature beyond 1993. Maybe you will check it out assuming you don't need an integrated Mail Client. Besides, I already have a great Mail & News client called Interlink.

If you want to test a pre-release version get at me on #binaryoutcast on Freenode or via http://binaryoutcast.com/interact/.

federatedfly

Unread post by federatedfly » 2019-05-11, 20:59

Any opinion of the developers about these feature requests?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-05-12, 04:31

Create an extension. These have no place in the application core.