Bookmarks-Favorite's development,+ icon/pentagram change to heart Topic is solved

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Waffa

Bookmarks-Favorite's development,+ icon/pentagram change to heart

Unread post by Waffa » 2019-01-18, 22:54

Greetings,

Thank You for 28.3 update.
Have to tell for starters, that besides BlackHawk, the Pale Moon in only browser that is working on my privacy paranoid-service tweaked laptop (tested over 10 others..). Other's causing even laptop to shutdown. But about that in another post.
Excuse my spellings/writings style, that i got not.

But in emotional scale,what is biggest worry and trouble for me, please laugh not, : The Favorite/Bookmarks bar icon,
that is with a symbol that destroyed most of the good life on earth
, well, at least they keep doing so...
and that is usually indicator, of any software/website about the minds who have took it over.
Opera & SeaMonkey was old times only ones who rebuked against notion, that pentagram/five-star have to be on Your face, in every tab and website.

I will not go in to hypothetical-esoterically and ideological-political notions behind the pentagram icon's (SPECIALLY related in "favorite"/love locations), but it is just ugly also, and the browser it self, is a miracle to have been saved them self from all of that what comes from these symbols,
clearly by some miracle effort code-wizards in here have managed to keep browser functional even in pages that work directly against browsers that are not from the "team of technology" that can be used for; - besides simply Behind-the-Scene level also in some future implementations of be-oon Orwellian level monitoring, changes and warfare.

Please try to change the default icon to something else, even if party member's organize strike against it. As this is the only piece they have left to do, related to this GUI development in here. For opera not fallow their orders, they revenged by buying out entire software and turn inside in to Chrome, that is notorious for paranormal behavior on some (ordinary people) platforms, on critical times, when starting to do heavy research on websites and topics that powers to be, would prefer we not to.
Well, also probably as Opera staff told back then "We will not, newer will start to use security holes as features"

(Even thought for a benefit (of accessing user data), of who ever They are (besides money makers who are just front cover..), between The pipes, they get updating their database about information, on flagged user's; search, search methods,thinking, usage's etc. As we know, even Router/HD root-ware can be installed based on forum usernames names on these day's so... ...it's all the pieces together, that help someone's to control the uncontrollable internet/information/thinking/usage..)

But for some other, useful development related to, that might seem a bit more reasonable,
only actual minus i have found for now, is when one will use bookmark menu to navigate sub-folders to where add the bookmark - there is not jet option "add here"
- one have to open up the another bookmark button - if they are not novice to figure it out, and click about 5 times before getting in to folder-sub folder in to where organize the webpapge.

Mentioned here also a bit, related to addon that was made for that..
made me smile, as i was not only one noticing that...

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=20743&p=156373&hil ... on#p156373

I know, it might look like really superficial and silly thing to worry, make issue about, related to (hundreds of)thousands of hours hard coding that has put on to this amazing project and mission, to keep web-browser honest.

Yes, i could have write all that with few lines, but just had to express my self.

Besides, a STAR has nothing to related to "i like"/"i want to keep" for the kind of people i call heart/earth-lander.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Re: Bookmarks-Favorite's development,+ icon/pentagram change to heart

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2019-01-18, 23:11

This is where themes can be useful. We have many themes on our Add-ons Site, several of which change icons like this:

https://addons.palemoon.org/themes/

There's even an Opera-style theme (and Presto version), but other themes might suit your needs too. Take a look and see what you think. :)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-01-18, 23:47

Sorry if I play the Devil's Advocate here, but as much as you seem to dislike the 5-pointed star (which isn't a pentagram, by the way) that has been used (regardless of connotation by some groups) as a general indicator (it's a common modern day ideogram) of items with special interest ("starring" an item, etc.), if it were changed to a heart, some people may also take unkindly to it for it being, at its root, a sexual symbol, for example (the shape is speculated to be derived from the shape of plant (Silphium) which was an aphrodisiac). Also, just because you bookmark something, doesn't necessarily mean that you "heart it", or even like it, so even just taken that way it would already be questionable to use. It's a marked page to revisit later, that's all.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Waffa

Unread post by Waffa » 2019-01-20, 02:31

Greatly thankful You even let my message here to be posted, as it is just a bit issue in me as well, but will surely try to keep next postings in the length and in the topic (and understandable) more appropriately, just my spirit really feels that i got to say, this last time perhaps, to read "between the lines" so:
Lootyhoof wrote:This is where themes can be useful. We have many themes on our Add-ons Site, several of which change icons like this: https://addons.palemoon.org/themes/
There's even an Opera-style theme (and Presto version), but other themes might suit your needs too. Take a look and see what you think. :)
Lootyhoof, i know You did recommend this in good heart, but it is kind of insane recommendation really,
it's like redecorating entire house to get different kind of door handle.
Besides, i did find a skin that i like, and i not starting to change entire theme, that i tested many of, just because of one icon - there must be another way to get rid of this occultic brainwashing related to five-star pentagram, that we all are forced to wach in every corner, will it be Euros or TV menu's, Hollywood or kid's clothing and toy's-.
American flag, serifs and many other organizations top of that.

Moonchild wrote:Sorry if I play the Devil's Advocate here, but as much as you seem to dislike the 5-pointed star (which isn't a pentagram, by the way) that has been used (regardless of connotation by some groups) as a general indicator (it's a common modern day ideogram) of items with special interest ("starring" an item, etc.), if it were changed to a heart, some people may also take unkindly to it for it being, at its root, a sexual symbol, for example (the shape is speculated to be derived from the shape of plant (Silphium) which was an aphrodisiac). Also, just because you bookmark something, doesn't necessarily mean that you "heart it", or even like it, so even just taken that way it would already be questionable to use. It's a marked page to revisit later, that's all.
Moonchild - as You are master-chief with greatest amount of power and respect in here, i will be a bit more hard on You.

You know HOW easy it must be to change the location of this PENTAGRAM/FIVE-Star, it must be just in some directory right, how hard was it to give this location and some URL for an heart .gif to replace it
(heart, that IS MOST appropriate to anyone who does not have issues with heart/love, who got healthy mind (not pentagram, invader alienated mind)
- no normal ones do not have issues with heart, rather they choose HEART over a lifeless far galaxy alien star, specially if they are asked to think about it, feel it... ),

Do You at least agree that bookmarks should be so, that adding pages will be possible, in to sub-folders from main menu?

.:.
(i rant a bit more now, ) ...in txt
moonChild.new.264.in.txt.txt
As the post would be too long and out of accepted normality.. for who it may concern
(13.8 KiB) Downloaded 28 times

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2019-01-20, 04:13

Waffa wrote:and i not starting to change entire theme, that i tested many of, just because of one icon
Some reading material for you, specifically point #4:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5647

The multiple solutions in this case are themes, as Lootyhoof suggested. Just because you want something changed does not mean the majority of Pale Moon users are also going to want to see it changed. If you need this changed to satisfy your own needs, you can always create your own theme (or modify the "skin" you said you are using) to change it.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-01-20, 06:00

You have a right to your own opinion (all 13 KB of text of it, if you insist) about the 5-pointed star (not to be confused with a pentagram, once more) and its use, but as you so aptly put I am the master-chief here when it comes to these things and I say the default theme will not get a heart for the bookmarks icon, period. I consider this request unacceptable, as in my opinion, a heart and its implied meaning is the wrong symbol to use for a bookmark.

You can override individual theme elements with those of your choice by using what Pale Moon and other XUL-based applications offer in the use of userChrome.css. You can provide your own image to be used and direct the browser to use it instead of the built-in toolbar icon. Please see the various already existing posts on this subject for details.

If you want a prominent way to have your bookmarks in view in a main menu like structure, I suggest you use the bookmarks toolbar (enabled by default) -- you can create your own menus with bookmarks and sub-menus in it, and organize your bookmarks the way you prefer.
Off-topic:
A few parting thoughts about the star symbol:
  • The star symbol and its use in the browser have nothing to do with my or anyone's health of mind. It's a symbol to represent a function, and that is all.
  • Our own sun is a star. Last I checked you lived on a planet circling a star that is full of life. Stars are "lifeless"? Might want to re-think that one ;-)
  • Even as far back as the ancient Egyptians, a star was represented by a 5-pointed glyph.
    hiero_N14.png
    hiero_N14.png (319 Bytes) Viewed 472 times
    Thousands of years before any of your alleged connotations like communism and satanic beliefs were even thought up. If you want to draw on historic context to make your point, at least get it right.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite