VPN

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
faithbuilders
Fanatic
Fanatic

VPN

Unread post by faithbuilders » 2018-12-23, 20:57

it would be great if a future PM could have a built in VPN! I have hearing a lot about the importance of it, and how one should perhaps not even go on line without one. Any thoughts?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: VPN

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-12-23, 21:27

A built-in VPN eh? And who would be paying for the server bandwidth required for such a thing?...

Then note:
  1. Limited need: A VPN is only really important if you can't trust your local network, e.g. if you are using an open WiFi hotspot, in which case I do recommend using one, but otherwise people who sell VPN services are of course going to try and scare you into using their service always and everywhere (because it makes them money!). On any normal ISP connection though it's really not necessary (and if you can't trust your ISP you should be using a different one).
  2. Using VPN services also bears a risk to your privacy: the VPN service operators will see all your traffic and may be selling your browsing profile data to big data companies. So if you do use a VPN, make sure the operators are fully trusted or use a private server for yourself (e.g. getting an inexpensive VPS+OpenVPN stack).
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-12-23, 21:31, edited 2 times in total.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

faithbuilders
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: VPN

Unread post by faithbuilders » 2018-12-24, 04:01

Fair enough, shows my ignorance on the subject. :oops:

I was just looking around for added security, and VPN kept coming up. I just don't like the idea of being spyed on; I've nothing to hide, but I have heard of people just in joking said the wrong thing, and the wrong people "CNN" got there ip address, and messed up there life. Just want to be careful.