SVG local-ref in v27 Topic is solved

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
TMINY

SVG local-ref in v27

Unread post by TMINY » 2018-10-27, 05:19

I was hoping this v28 fix could be applied to one last v27 version for those of us stuck on Vista-
Added support for local-ref as SVG xlink:href values.
I have a specific site that uses this which is driving me up the wall by not rendering its icons. Due to some vision accessibility issues, I can't migrate away from Vista until Windows High Contrast/Dark mode is more mature on Win10.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: SVG local-ref in v27

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-10-27, 10:15

Version 27 isn't officially supported anymore, and I doubt any fixes will be backported to it. There may be a fork of v27 floating around that supports Windows Vista that you might try. Alternatively, you can upgrade your OS to Windows 7 or 8.1, both of which are not Windows 10 and both of which are supported by Pale Moon 28.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-10-27, 11:20

For minimal user interaction impact on your current environment, if you upgrade your O.S. which I do strongly recommend at this point, you should use Windows 7. Windows 8 is significantly different in how you have to interact with it.

As for backporting anything: I'm sorry but that's a no-go. v27's development has come to a full stop and no further releases will be made of it for any reason.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

TMINY

Unread post by TMINY » 2018-10-27, 15:27

Win7's High Contrast implementation is not quite as good as Vista's. (It's not terrible, but there are fewer highlights and accents between areas which makes it difficult to determine active windows or columns... among other small differences.) So I've had to keep Vista around for much longer than I anticipated. Win8 and Win10 were a joke for High Contrast but the new Dark Mode holds promise. A friend and I are trying to tweak it in a VM until we can get it to the point I can put it on my main, daily computer.

Either way, thanks for replying! If there is an opportunity to do one last v27 version (maybe rolling in any other last-minute accessibility-related fixes), see if you can throw this SVG thing into the mix. I'd appreciate it!

And thanks again for Pale Moon!

(Or one other thought... I could contribute to a bounty for any v28 fixes that are technically able to be rolled into v27.)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-10-28, 10:05

TMINY wrote:If there is an opportunity to do one last v27 version (maybe rolling in any other last-minute accessibility-related fixes)
There isn't! I'm sorry but v27 is simply EoL. If this request had come, say, 6 months ago, it would have been an option even if it was in maintenance mode at that time, but at the moment, no, it's not.

I say once again, v27's development has come to a full stop and no further releases will be made of it for any reason.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

TMINY

Unread post by TMINY » 2018-10-28, 14:47

OK, no problem! Thanks again for replying.