Updates

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
MikeyR5

Updates

Unread post by MikeyR5 » 2018-09-03, 23:25

Hi! Can't find this anyplace else, so here goes - Would it be possible to add a "get it now" button at the bottom (or top) of the notifications about new releases?
The only time I can ever see an opportunity to update PM is generally when I'm 20 minutes into a TV show or something similar, then the upgrade notice pops up. If I tell it "later", I never see it again. I've searched in vain for a way to update when I'm not actively using PM, but can't find the place where it's hidden.
The last update I put in seems to have really messed up a lot of the video stuff, and reading the release notes for the newest one looks like it may address that? Using Win 7, 32-bit.
Just seems to me that having the ability to update new releases when they're available would be a plus....... i just haven't found a way to do it. (NOT a techie, just a dumb user!)
Any reply appreciated!.............MikeyR

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Updates

Unread post by van p » 2018-09-04, 04:17

I see 2 kinds of notices. One is a small box in the lower right-hand corner of the screen. The other is a big box in the middle of the screen. IIRC, each gives me the ability to update right that nanosecond, if I just can't wait. Honestly, I don't see why it's that difficult to update anything; as long as you know it's there, do the update when it's convenient.

At any rate, to solve your problem (I guess): Pale Moon button (upper left corner of your browser)>Preferences>Advanced>Update>Automatically install updates. But, given your prior stated problem, maybe you should wait, watch the forum, and install updates when it seems the dust has settled and found problems have been fixed.
Windows 10 Pro x64 v22H2 8GB i5-4570|Pale Moon v33.0.1 x64

cannonmc
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by cannonmc » 2018-09-04, 13:32

If you go to the Help button at the top of your browser in the Menu Bar (right-click the top of the page if you have it turned off) and click on About Pale Moon there is an option there to check for updates at anytime :)

Frasier
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Frasier » 2018-09-04, 13:47

Well, cannonmc beat me to it.
Try:
Help > About Pale Moon
About_Pale_Moon.png
If you're upgrading from 27.x.x you should probably start with a new clean profile.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-04, 14:01

You don't need to start with a new profile to update to v28.. Though, I would backup your profile on a regular basis.. Upgrading to 28 or not.

And never forget at the end of the day, MPL 2.0 sections 6 and 7.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-09-04, 14:02, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-09-04, 15:06

For those not knowing the MPL by heart, here are points 6 and 7:
6. Disclaimer of Warranty

Covered Software is provided under this License on an “as is” basis, without warranty of any kind, either expressed, implied, or statutory, including, without limitation, warranties that the Covered Software is free of defects, merchantable, fit for a particular purpose or non-infringing. The entire risk as to the quality and performance of the Covered Software is with You. Should any Covered Software prove defective in any respect, You (not any Contributor) assume the cost of any necessary servicing, repair, or correction. This disclaimer of warranty constitutes an essential part of this License. No use of any Covered Software is authorized under this License except under this disclaimer.

7. Limitation of Liability

Under no circumstances and under no legal theory, whether tort (including negligence), contract, or otherwise, shall any Contributor, or anyone who distributes Covered Software as permitted above, be liable to You for any direct, indirect, special, incidental, or consequential damages of any character including, without limitation, damages for lost profits, loss of goodwill, work stoppage, computer failure or malfunction, or any and all other commercial damages or losses, even if such party shall have been informed of the possibility of such damages. This limitation of liability shall not apply to liability for death or personal injury resulting from such party’s negligence to the extent applicable law prohibits such limitation. Some jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so this exclusion and limitation may not apply to You.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2018-09-04, 15:59

Download the installer, run it, if you have Palemoon installed before, installer will update it instead installing new copy.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-04, 16:04

Off-topic:
Pale Moon, two words, both capitalized.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-09-04, 16:04, edited 1 time in total.