Importing user settings on install - make Firefox/Edge/Chrome options?

Suggestions and feature requests for the Pale Moon browser

Moderator: satrow

Stilez
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Importing user settings on install - make Firefox/Edge/Chrome options?

Unread postby Stilez » Fri, 20 Jul 2018, 09:31

Right now when you clean-install it offers IE as user import options. Realistically the more common broweser already used will be one of Firefox, Edge or Chrome. It should be possible to at least import bookmarks and tabs, or something, for these, and would aid newcomers a lot.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Importing user settings on install - make Firefox/Edge/Chrome options?

Unread postby Moonchild » Fri, 20 Jul 2018, 17:51

Unfortunately it's impossible for us to maintain migrating from the constantly-changing profile storage formats of other browsers. We actually won't have the migrator any longer with the next milestone because, as you've seen, it's actually not very useful anymore.
Improving Mozilla code: You know you're on the right track with code changes when you spend the majority of your time deleting code.

"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne

kbhasi
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Re: Importing user settings on install - make Firefox/Edge/Chrome options?

Unread postby kbhasi » Fri, 07 Sep 2018, 10:57

Moonchild wrote:Unfortunately it's impossible for us to maintain migrating from the constantly-changing profile storage formats of other browsers. We actually won't have the migrator any longer with the next milestone because, as you've seen, it's actually not very useful anymore.

Ah, I see, because I don't pay attention to the profile migrator, as I primarily use the GNU/Linux version, and usually set up distros in ways where I have them not install Firefox or Chrome, and instead install PM.

My guess is that the code will still remain and can be enabled as a compile-time option, but will be disabled with the default compile-time options for all maintained platform ports?

Edit: Come to think of it, I haven't actually checked if Firefox Quantum had already discontinued their profile migrator...
Last edited by kbhasi on Fri, 07 Sep 2018, 10:58, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Suggestions/feature requests”