Directory/File names  [Closed]

Suggestions and feature requests for the Pale Moon browser

Moderator: satrow

redwil
New to the forum
New to the forum

Directory/File names

Unread postby redwil » Wed, 09 May 2018, 04:28

I appreciate your efforts to keep last sane browser alive.

Doing some clean up inside my home directory I noticed that inside $HOME/.cache directory there is a 'moonchild productions' directory that contains a space in the name.

I have not checked any other default or auto generated file name by the browser hence I cannot provide you a complete list of other files containing space or other non shell/script friendly characters.

I would suggest to change all of them to some other defaults that do not have characters known to create problems on various OSes (in my case linux).

For instance in the case of 'moonchild productions' I would suggest to use 'palemoon' since is pertaining to palemoon application

Thanks

Nigaikaze
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Re: Directory/File names  [Closed]

Unread postby Nigaikaze » Wed, 09 May 2018, 13:09

Previously discussed here:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14212

vannilla
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Directory/File names

Unread postby vannilla » Wed, 09 May 2018, 13:09

Spaces in file names don't create problems on any operative system.
If anything, they create issues with shells and/or terminal emulators, and even then you can just escape them (or use a better shell).

redwil
New to the forum
New to the forum

Unread postby redwil » Wed, 09 May 2018, 14:09

I apologize to all for my hasty post. I may be a dinosaur in terms of using computers.

@Nigaikaze
Thank you for the topic link although I H_Eaven said it better than me

@vanilla
You are right technically there are various ways to deal with them as well with other special characters. It is more or less an inconvenience that can be avoided if you know about it.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread postby Moonchild » Thu, 10 May 2018, 00:25

It's not even an inconvenience. Any modern file manager and shell can easily handle this -- which makes this more a matter of "what you're used to seeing" rather than actually hindering you in any way.
Improving Mozilla code: You know you're on the right track with code changes when you spend the majority of your time deleting code.

"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne

Return to “Suggestions/feature requests”