Enhancement request - e.g. Problem loading page Topic is solved

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
markfilipak

Enhancement request - e.g. Problem loading page

Unread post by markfilipak » 2018-03-02, 21:52

If error handlers reported the name of the 'about:config' property that provoked the error, it would really help with troubleshooting. This is hopefully a very easy thing to implement.

Please consider it. - Mark.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Enhancement request - e.g. Problem loading page

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-03-03, 08:06

um.. what? What exactly are you suggesting? Because I don't understand.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

markfilipak

Unread post by markfilipak » 2018-03-03, 08:31

Moonchild wrote:um.. what? What exactly are you suggesting? Because I don't understand.
Hi MC. Thanks.

I get a timeout with some websites -- usually around 20 seconds. I don't know whether the http is stalled or dropped. I'd like to extend the time, but I don't know which about:config value to diddle. If the error handler disclosed that information, it would make diddling the value a lot easier. Otherwise, I have to guess based on property names, and that's not easy.

Warm Regards,
Mark.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-03-03, 08:35

I'm sorry but no. Websites timing out or any other "it doesn't work" scenario aren't simply 1:1 symptom -> cause relations (even though there are plenty of 1:1 cause -> symptom relations). Providing information about what's going on is one thing, but directing people to make changes in about:config on a "maybe it's caused by this" basis as directed by the software is just bad practice. People are already muddling in about:config more than they should as-is, no need to encourage it with wild guesses on error pages.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

markfilipak

Unread post by markfilipak » 2018-03-04, 00:06

Moonchild wrote:I'm sorry but no.
I understand your concern.
Providing information about what's going on is one thing, ...
Just provide the cause of the error. Surely that's preferable to ignorance. Wouldn't you agree?
... but directing people to make changes in about:config on a "maybe it's caused by this" basis as directed by the software is just bad practice.
Then don't direct them. Simply making errors more informative doesn't direct anyone to do anything.
People are already muddling in about:config more than they should as-is, no need to encourage it with wild guesses on error pages.
Then don't encourage them. In fact, warning them would be appropriate. As it is now, changing settings is pure guesswork. Or, as an alternative, perhaps you could supply annotations for the settings in about:config so that adjusting them becomes less a matter of guesswork, eh?

Regards,
Mark.

PS: MC, I'd be happy to assist. I can read source, but will need help. Will you help?
Last edited by markfilipak on 2018-03-04, 00:10, edited 1 time in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-03-04, 00:21

Pretty much if it isn't general.useragent.override.[domain.tld] no user with rare exception should really be in about:config.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-03-04, 00:21, edited 1 time in total.

markfilipak

Unread post by markfilipak » 2018-03-04, 00:31

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Pretty much if it isn't general.useragent.override.[domain.tld] no user with rare exception should really be in about:config.
Can you give that to me in English?

PS: Ah, I see (looking at 'general.useragent.override' in about:config). I can't believe anyone is still using browser-sniffing instead of DOM capabilities.
Last edited by markfilipak on 2018-03-04, 00:37, edited 2 times in total.

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-03-04, 02:44

markfilipak wrote:.... Or... perhaps you could supply annotations for the settings in about:config so that adjusting them becomes less a matter of guesswork, eh?
I recommend the Config Comments extension. It puts comments from the source code to the side of settings in about:config.
markfilipak wrote:... I can't believe anyone is still using browser-sniffing instead of DOM capabilities.
Unfortunately, a lot of people are.

markfilipak

Unread post by markfilipak » 2018-03-04, 08:42

SpockMan02 wrote:I recommend the Config Comments extension. It puts comments from the source code to the side of settings in about:config.
I use the Config Comments extension. It's very sparse and often nonsensical. It didn't help me.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-03-04, 08:57

Well, as far as about:config goes, let me remind you:
tbdh.png