Support CSS background-clip: text

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
adam27

Support CSS background-clip: text

Unread post by adam27 » 2017-12-21, 00:57

Title describes this one, add support for background-clip: text as seen here https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/background-clip

Most major browsers except ie(no surprise there :roll: ) seem to support this, but pale moon currently renders it as just the background image with text only being visible when you highlight it.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Support CSS background-clip: text

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-12-21, 10:12

Is this actually being used in the wild?

EDIT: Text is actually an "experimental API that should not be used in production code". It's only in an Editor's draft and has not been standardized or recommended. I don't see a point in adding this at this point in time.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

adam27

Unread post by adam27 » 2017-12-21, 18:25

Funnyjunk.com uses it for comment effects, resulting in the same issue of text being nearly unreadable without highlighting. Cant think of any other sites that use it noticeably though.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-12-21, 19:58

Well, you may want to point out to funnyjunk.com then that they are using an effect (no matter how funny) that is experimental and not supported by all browsers, making text unreadable.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

adam27

Unread post by adam27 » 2017-12-21, 20:27

Already tried, and it went nowhere fast despite mentioning its only a draft and isnt finalized. Their response was "there is no way to disable it, you just need to use a more modern browser."

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-12-21, 20:35

"there is no way to disable it"? What nonsense is that? It's THEIR site with THEIR styling on it.

adam27

Unread post by adam27 » 2017-12-21, 20:54

Dont ask me, many web developers seem to have this terrible mentality of if your not using a major browser then you dont matter as a user.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-12-22, 10:13

You can safely replace "a major browser" with "Google Chrome" in that sentence :P

Anyway, we'll still be here when people come to their senses.

fifonik

Unread post by fifonik » 2018-06-27, 03:44

Faced issue caused the unsupported feature on https://www.playgwent.com/en (many texts displayed on strange background)

> You can safely replace "a major browser" with "Google Chrome" in that sentence :P

A bit not true as "background-clip: text" supported in Fx 56 (I do not have earlier versions installed to check), Fx 58+, Cyberfox, chromium based browsers (checked in Vivaldi, do not have Chrome installed), IE11.

PaleMoon is the only browser I have that do not support it. Unfortunately, this is the main browser in our home and my wife (she's playing the gwent game) is not happy :)
I hope the feature will be supported.

Thanks.
Last edited by fifonik on 2018-06-27, 03:47, edited 1 time in total.

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-06-27, 04:00

fifonik wrote:...

PaleMoon is the only browser I have that do not support it. Unfortunately, this is the main browser in our home and my wife (she's playing the gwent game) is not happy :)
I hope the feature will be supported.

Thanks.
As a matter of fact, the feature is supported in Pale Moon 28 (currently in beta).
Off-topic:
As Moonchild said, it is experimental, so it can be turned off by changing the preference layout.css.background-clip-text.enabled, but you and your wife probably won't want to turn it off.
You can get the unstable version of Pale Moon to make use of this, or wait until Pale Moon 28's official release, which should be in August.